Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

combat aircrew wings eligibility criteria for 1970

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• combat aircrew wings eligibility criteria for 1970

Does anyone know what the criteria was for earning the combat aircrew wings in 1970? I kicked flares for MWSG-17 for 2 months and had 10 actual missions, many other nights in orbit waiting for calls for light.

Semper Fidelis
    Randall E. Hirsch
    former SGT, USMC

• G MAN
    replied
    Re: Combat Air Cew Wings

Originally posted by Hummin'17 View Post
    Randy,

I also flew with HMS-17, as an AO (flare crew) and then on as a 1st Mech. This in 1969 and then I moved on to H&MS-11.

If memory serves, you needed 20 mission points for the basic wings, which you really could not wear. Gold stars were awarded for each additional 10 mission points and once all three stars were earned, you could wear the wings.

Semper Fi,

Don "Mac" McGrath
    SGT, USMC 1966-1972.

Marine Corps League
    Stonewal Detachment
    I flew on the H&MS 11 FLARESHIP IN 1969 and was awared an Air Medal, and Wings, with 3 stars. No clue why. I just volunteered to do it, and they are on my DD214. Were we shot at while up there??? Dam right. Every time we went up. More times than I can remember. That and a $1.50 gets me a dunkin doughnuts coffee. Semper Fi and Welcome home.

Leave a comment:

• 1chuck
    replied
    Just out of curiosity how do i go about getting mine i was crew chief in 362 65-66 have received most of my metals, 16 Air Metals but never got my air crew wings officially nor my National Defense Metal and a couple of others. Has it been to long now to get them

Leave a comment:

• Joe Reed
    replied
    CAC Wings

Bonehead, above is correct! You can't "get" CAC wings without flying combat and getting shot at, it's not optional to wear them without the stars. They signify the three "strike" missions where the wearer took enemy fire!

Leave a comment:

• Hummin'17
    replied
    Combat Air Cew Wings

Randy,

I also flew with HMS-17, as an AO (flare crew) and then on as a 1st Mech. This in 1969 and then I moved on to H&MS-11.

If memory serves, you needed 20 mission points for the basic wings, which you really could not wear. Gold stars were awarded for each additional 10 mission points and once all three stars were earned, you could wear the wings.

Semper Fi,

Don "Mac" McGrath
    SGT, USMC 1966-1972.

Marine Corps League
    Stonewal Detachment

Leave a comment:

• GEORGE CURTIS
    replied
    "The tradition of the Combat Aircrew Insignia goes back to WW II when the Marine Corps awarded it to aircrew members who participated in aerial combat and did not rate other aircrew insignia. The Marine Corps has continued in the use of this insignia during the Vietnam Conflict.
    “It can be awarded to any enlisted Marine of any military occupational specialty who qualifies for assignment to a combat aircrew and performs such aircrew duties in combat, such as helicopter door gunner.

“The Combat Aircrew Insignia is distinct from other Marine Aviation Insignia because it is the sole insignia that can only be earned in a combat environment. It has proved to be a prestigious distinguishing device. The insignia is awarded only to those individuals who have satisfactorily participated in combat during aerial flight.

“Combat stars represent an engagement of an enemy aircraft, an engagement of an enemy vessel, or participation in offensive or defensive operations against enemy fortified positions. A maximum of three stars may be awarded for display on the Combat Aircrew Insignia.

“Combat Action Reports in excess of three stars are credited on the individual’s Service Record only.

“A strong tradition is associated with the Combat Aircrew Insignia. Therefore, it does not appear to be a practical course of action to arbitrarily change the style and color of the insignia.”

Semper Fi,

LtCol H. J. Blaha, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff (Air), HQMC

Leave a comment:

• bonehead
    replied
    As I recall, it took 20 combat missions and taking fire on three different occasions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X