Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Lebanon, Dominican Republic, Panama, Haiti, Somalia, Bosnia, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan
Some forums are only visible when logged in…
Notifications
Clear all

Mabs 16

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
JAMESJARUS
(@jamesjarus)
Topic starter

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE FROM MABS16, ESPECIALLY 65-66:)

Posted : 2002-02-28 22:39
Carl L. Rice
(@carl-l-rice)
Eminent Member

MABS 16

I was beginning to believe I was the only person in MABS 16 or
perhaps I had dreamed it. I was with MABS 16 from May 1965 thru
June 66 , at the old French barracks first and was with the first 74 people to go to Marble MT.

Posted : 2002-03-04 21:01
stanamey
(@stanamey)

MAB 16

I was with Carl Rice when we left the old French barracks and went to the beach. I was there 65-66

Posted : 2002-05-10 08:02
ahbarbour
(@ahbarbour)
Estimable Member

The following members of the Association were all members of MABS-16 at one time or another:

BEVEL BILLY B
BROCK JR T C
CASSIO CHARLES A
CRAWFORD DAN
CROCKER MAURICE
CUNNINGHAM WILLIAM
DEWITT DONALD L
DEZEEUW DENNIS W
DIAL WILLIAM S
DONOVAN MICHAEL J
DUNBAUGH CHARLES R
FLOYD RON
GEARHART KEN A
HALL TOM H
HOLT FORREST M
HUGEL DAVID H
JARUSINSKY JAMES R
JOHNSON PHILIP L
JOHNSON ROGER L
KELLEY EDMUND P
KINDRED GAREY
KNAPP RICHARD H
LEWZADER MICHAEL G
MARTIN WAYNE
MASON KURT
MCDONALD DENNIS
MCLAIN MICHAEL B
MILLER LAWRENCE A
MORRISON GERALD R
MORSHEAD JOHN W
OUBRE JOHN A
PATRAITIS CHET
PENBERTHY REGINALD L
PHILLIPS MGEN R L
PIMENTAL RICHARD P
RABY MICHAEL D
RICE CARL L
SCHMITZ ROGER
SLOAN LARRY RAY
STILWAGEN W W
STRADDECK WILLIAM A
WILKISON BILLY G
WILLIAMS THOMAS E
YEAGER RICHARD F

Posted : 2002-05-10 08:27
kingsleymatt
(@kingsleymatt)

I too was at the old french barracks at Danang
from May to August of 65 and worked at the 1st MAW Communication Center. We moved to MM Home of
MAG-16 in August. I worked in the Comm Center (2541).
The Comm Center at Marble Mountain was next to the Chapel tent. My (condo) tent was across from
the showers and closest to MM beach.

Matthew Schoech (Cpl)

Posted : 2002-06-01 22:14
robert c. barr
(@robert-c-barr)

Old French Barracks MABS 16

I was in old French barracks 29 Jan 65 thru August and made the move to MM. I was the S&C courier for Col. John H. King Jr. (MAG 16) My additional MOS 0331 was called into play a few times. Col. T.J. O'Connor assumed command when Col King rotated. I lucked out at the new beach digs as the 'lifeguard"! It was a dirty job but somebody had to do it! Great duty til the monsoons began. Semper Fi (Cpl. R.C. Barr) P.S. Often wonder about the "Pineapple" Sgt. Nahinu , Cpls. Charlie Brown, R.C. Diamond, and L/Cpl. James Ellis , Sgt. Jerry Cole. Wish you all the best !

Posted : 2002-06-11 00:10
robert c. barr
(@robert-c-barr)

Old French Barracks MABS 16

I was in old French barracks 29 Jan 65 thru August and made the move to MM. I was the S&C courier for Col. John H. King Jr. (MAG 16) My additional MOS 0331 was called into play a few times. Col. T.J. O'Connor assumed command when Col King rotated. I lucked out at the new beach digs as the 'lifeguard"! It was a dirty job but somebody had to do it! Great duty til the monsoons began. Semper Fi (Cpl. R.C. Barr) P.S. Often wonder about the "Pineapple" Sgt. Nahinu , Cpls. Charlie Brown, R.C. Diamond, and L/Cpl. James Ellis , Sgt. Jerry Cole. Wish you all the best !

Posted : 2002-06-11 00:17
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

MABS 16 Radio Repair Shop

I was stationed at Marble Mountain with MABS 16 in the Radio Repair shop from April of 68 to November of 69 (yeah, I extended, really stupid of me, I guess)

I don't remember the names of all the buddies that served with me, Tim Houlihan, Bob Burlingame, ...there were others that I wish I could name. And of course, Bill Sperb, KIA on April 14, 1969. Bill was a Corpseman and was killed by enemy fire as his 46 (HMM 364) took rounds trying to extract wounded marines from the jungle.

Up until about 5 years ago, I visited his name on the wall every year on Memorial Day.

God Bless all you all, Marines. We sure did a good job of saving lives.

Attached files

Posted : 2003-02-28 15:28
CAHILL
(@cahill)

MABS 16 1/1/65

I served with 1st Comm, MABS 16, 1/1/1965 to about June. Then I was shipped to Mag 36 in Chu Li for the rest of my tour. I was with the advanced party to Marble Mountain, with the commumications section. One of the radio operators tried to shoot the cooks , as they came out to light the burners, about the 2nd day there.

Posted : 2004-04-23 11:43
Bill Menninger
(@bill-menninger)

Mabs16

I was with MABS-16 in 1965. I was with the Air Freight Section, and lived in the old French barracks. I have an aerial view of the compound as my screen saver. The CO at the time was Lt.Col Vernon. I distinctly remember the rocket attack on 1Jul which destroyed a lot of Air Force aircraft on the flight line. I helped load a UH34, tail # YP13 on a C141 to take to the Smithsonian. Went to the Smithonian a few years ago and saw it. Brought back a lot of memories. Our OIC was WO Sansome, a C130 pilot, and our NCOIC was GySgt. Sergeant. I can remember a few of the guys, LCpls. Lesner, MCKnight, Chan and MCGee. McGee and I spent about three weeks up at PhuBai attached to the flying pineapples, HMM161. Would like to go back and see if the old homestead is still standing..

Semper Fi

MSgt. Bill Menninger USMC (ret)

Posted : 2006-04-12 20:31
IGOR
 IGOR
(@IGOR)
Eminent Member

According to the Hobson book (Vietnam Air Losses) the Air Force lost three C-130A flare ships and three F-102's. The VNAF had two C-47 destroyed. In addition three additional F-102's , three C-123's, 18 VNAF C-47's and one C-130A were damaged.

IGOR

Hostage IGOR

Posted : 2006-04-14 09:44
Bill Menninger
(@bill-menninger)

mabs-16

I knew a lot were destroyed/damaged, but I wasn't aware of the scope of it all.
Thanks for the reply.

Bill

Posted : 2006-04-14 21:12
Share: