Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

Original HMM-163 Vietnam

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original HMM-163 Vietnam

I know there has to be someone on here from the 1962 squadron who can tell me what the mechanical failure was with the crash on 10/06/1962? This is Jim Mansfield - Crew Chief who got shotup covering the withdrawal of YP-80 on 10/04/1962. I learned about the crash when Lt Sinnott joined me at the Army Field Hospital - he was never able to talk to me. I would like to know what happened and I cannot recall Andy's aircraft ID. Flew along side and even picked him and the people with him up out of a rice paddy they autorotated into before we moved north.
    James Mansfield
    HMM-163 1962

I cannot recall Andy's aircraft ID
    YP-93 (from After Action Reports)
    BuNo 145790 (from Popasmoke KIA database)

Jim, contact me at I was an assistant maintenance officer of the squadron.