Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

RTB Bob Skinder, Ugly Angel and Scarface

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTB Bob Skinder, Ugly Angel and Scarface

Scarface Brothers,

I believe that Bob Skinder was not only an Ugly Angel but also a member of Scarface on his second tour. He passed away on Saturday in Hopkins, South Carolina.

Please pass the word on to his squadron contacts. I will update the RTB section of Popasmoke as more information becomes available.

Romy Myszka
    UAMF
    Radio Tweet

Bob Skinder

For those of you who didn't know him, Bob was one of the founding fathers of the Ugly Angel Memorial Foundation. He labored from the moment in 1994 when we first organized the Uglys almost until the day he passed on. It was Bob who had the idea we should honor those we left behind with the Ugly Angel Memorial we dedicated at Quantico in 2000, and which now proudly rests in the Semper Fidelis Memorial Park. It was Bob who served from day one as our official squadron historian. And it was Bob who took over the newsletter when this old guy retired. Until his illness finally incapacitated him, he served with distinction as the President of the Ugly Angel Memorial Foundation.

Bob's wife, Madilyn, informs me there will be a memorial service for Bob in about a month. The details will be posted as soon as they become available. In the meantime, expressions of condolence may be sent to Mrs. Robert Skinder, 20 Claytor Road, Hopkins. SC 29061. Donations to the The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in lieu of flowers are welcomed.

We honor Bob's memory, his dedication to the Ugly Angels, his humanity, and his friendship. Rest in peace brother!

Semper Fidelis
    Last edited by Tom Hewes; 09-10-2009, 07:56. Reason: Additional information

Comment

Another Missed

Tom its always hard to hear of another one of our Brother Marines has pass
      away. My prayers are with the Family and ALL that knew Him. May God put his Great Big Arm's around them ALL and let them know He is there .

Comment

Bob Skinder

UAMF Founder, master tin bender, historian par exellance, all around good guy. We didn't serve in the Southeast Asia Wargames together but over the years established a warm rapore and corresponed frequently. I will deeply miss his humor and wise council. Madylin sounds like she is handling Bob's loss with equanimity as they had plenty of time to contemplate his mortality. She said he was out cutting the grass less than 24 hours before he died. That's the way a warrior should go; full throttle. Semper Fi, Bob.
        Robbie aka "Grump"

Comment

Obiturary

Robert Francis Skinder, cherished husband of Madilyn and father of Jennifer and Rachael, died September fifth at the age of 66. He was a man of boundless humor, kindness, and love of life. Bob loved people, and all who knew him were cheered by his rich wit, positive outlook, and endless store of “good stories” and laughter. He also loved nature, and spent many hours being a faithful observer and steward of the great outdoors.

He was the son of Chester and Agnes Skinder and born in Dorchester, Massachusetts. He proudly served in the United States Marine Corps from 1963-1971 and in the Marine Corps Reserve from 1976 to 1991. With an English literature degree from Southeastern Massachusetts University and a Master of Library Science degree from University of Rhode Island, he began his career in the oceanographic scientific instrumentation industry in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. In 1987, he moved to Maryland, and was a reference librarian at the Federal Aviation Administration Library and then at Walter Reed Army Institute for Research in Washington, D.C., followed by the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Maryland. This career path led to his blending of the emerging information technologies with academic librarianship, which flourished with his next move to the University of South Carolina Thomas Cooper Library in 1996. He loved his service to students, faculty, and staff, and was treasured by many in the university community who were touched and inspired by his warm and generous spirit. He retired from USC in 2008, and then devoted his time to his family, his love of the land, his dogs, and the rich heritage of his home in Hopkins and those that he served with in the U.S. Marine Corps. He created a lasting tribute to his brother Marines of the Ugly Angels, as Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron-362 is famously known, by being a founding member and past president of the Ugly Angel Memorial Foundation, and through his long service as newsletter editor and historian of the squadron.

He is survived and deeply missed by his beloved and devoted wife Madilyn, his daughter, Jennifer Louise Skinder, son-in-law, Leif Richardson, and his grandchildren, Asa, Carmen and Benjamin of Marshfield, Vermont; his daughter, Rachael Anne Skinder of Newton, Massachusetts; his brother, John Stanley Skinder of Burke, Virginia; and his uncle, Ralph and aunt, Barbara Skinder of Andover, Massachusetts and their children and grandchildren. He is also survived and deeply missed by his dogs Clover, Holly, Daisy, Pepper, and Maggie.

Our deepest thanks and appreciation to the wonderful nurses, doctors, and staff of the South Carolina Oncology Associates and Palmetto Baptist Hospital, whose exceptional care and generosity provided much comfort.

A memorial service will be held at a date to be announced. In lieu of flowers, donations in Bob’s memory may be sent to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, P.O. Box 9031, Pittsfield, MA 01202. Dunbar Funeral Home, Devine Street Chapel, is assisting the family.

Please sign the online guestbook at www.dunbarfunerals.com.

Obiturary courtesy of The Palmetto State, South Carolina's Homepage

Comment

My brother Bob

I served with Bob from the time he entered USMCR with Marine Light Helicopter Squadron 771, MAG 49, 4th MAW, until he retired and moved south
            around 1988 or so. Bob was unique, he really was. I don't think I have ever met anyone like him. At some point in time, when this sinks in ( I just found out tonight) I will write some Bob Skinder stories. Skinny was a proud and loyal Marine and a wonderful man and one of the funniest people I have ever met. I spoke with him last approximately two months ago prior for their departure on a nature trip of sorts up into the Dakotas and Badlands. Bob had had a set back and had come out of remission, but things looked promising. I wish to hell that I had been able to say goodbye.

I have some recent pics that I will ask Wally to post. The US Marine Corps never appreciated the depth of his loyalty to the Corps and to his fellow Marines.

Little known fact: Bob served with George Curtis and Frank Cuddy in Scarface, 67 Phu Bai. He also served with Sgt Maj Fred Douglas (KIA Beirut 1n 1982) at
            NAS Lakehurst, NJ around 1965 or 66. We all hoisted more than a few at NAS SoWey in the late 70's.

Goodbye Bob----I'll miss you buddy. Perhaps we'll be able to crack a cold Schaefer somewhere down the road.

Tom Constantine
            US Marine Ret

Comment

Memorial Service

A memorial service will be held for Bob on Saturday, 17 October with the time and place to be determined. As soon as I have further info, I'll post it.

Semper Fi

Comment

Remembrance

Though I never met Bob in person, he took the time to correspond with me a few times and answer some questions. And I found we both had a love of history and books! He always sent me a copy of the UA newsletter and mentioned T in one. It meant a great deal to me and to the kids.

I had the good fortune to find a few people who knew T and were able to provide anecdotes, pictures, information, laughs, and just being there. Thanks, I know what a treasure you all are.

Valle.
                Deborah

Comment

Bob Skinder and Scarface

Bob was also a member of Scarface in the late 1969-early 70 time frame in Phu Bai or Marble.

Years later he served as an historian of HLM 367 and provided great assistance in putting together the facts when Brad Ryti and I were collecting information for the Scarface Website back around 2000.

I was not aware of Bob's very distinguished career in library science and regret that I never knew him better. He was always there when we needed him!

Semper fi and God speed to Bob Skinder.
                  Mark Austin Byrd - SCULPTOR
                  13309 Peyton Drive
                  Dallas, TX 75240

www.valorremembered.org
                  www.markbyrd.com

Comment

Working...
                  X