Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

MCAF Santa Ana/Tustin - "The end of an era."

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMH-361

Was K.W.Andrus the skipper, then? He's a great guy and a great C.O. I had him in HMM-365 in New River. He's also a Popasmoke member and should be at the Fort Worth reunion, fyi.
    Semper Fi
    Joe
    Semper Fidelis
    Joe

Phu Bai tower:
    YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
    Remember, These are "A" models!
    YW-11 BuNo-151939
    '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

For all who had a hand in this most honorable quest, two thumbs up and Semper Fi! Attaboys all around and any other compliments are well deserved! Never was stationed there, but have many acquaintances who were.
      Joe: LtCol K. W. "Andy" Andrus was HMH-361 CO from late 1968 to Dec 1969 or Jan 1970. He took us, molded into a very competitive, cohesive unit and deployed us from New River to Viet Nam after the transition to CH-53s. He became the MAG-16 S-3 until his tour ended. Had the distinct privelege and honor to work with him there as well. LtCol C. A. Block took over HMH-361 and re-deployed them to CONUS. (Early 1970)

Comment

Andy Andrus

Paul,
        Sounds like you and I share the same opinion of "Andy"! Great guy and inspiring leader. I run out of adjectives..........
        Take care.
        Semper Fi
        Joe
        Semper Fidelis
        Joe

Phu Bai tower:
        YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
        YW-11 BuNo-151939
        '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

The Tessier quest ....

We should have the culmination of the Tessier quest next Monday, 13 June, 2005.

I have been in touch with the husband of Capt. Tessier's sister.

I will be in Reston, Va next week on business and they live very close to that location.

I am trying to arrange for former Capt. & Pilot Rae Scott and I to visit them and present the Tessier presentation piece that I had Dave Gromaski help me construct.

Some of you might know both of these gentlemen. Capt. Scott was a pilot with us in the original 463 group that went over on the Tripoli, and Dave was a high time crewchief in '68, '69 & '70. Dave had the Woody Woodpecker 53.

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Mike,

I would like to thank you for your superior effort in the quest to recover the street signs named after fallen Marine Pilots and Aircrew Members that were located on board MCAS Tustin. These are more than just street signs they are a small recognition of the sacrifices that these Marines made to our Country and Corp. The names - Ruvolis - Link - Belknap - Bennett - Dyer - Bancroft - Brand - Ehnis - Rolstadt - Rose - Tessier - and Deetz displayed in these signs will not be forgotten in a trash heap because of your efforts. Thanks again.

Robert "Bull" Wemheuer
            Former C.O. MCAS Tustin
            Last edited by Mike Amtower; 04-19-2007, 12:23.

Comment

Thank you.

Thank you, Bob.

It just seemed like the right thing to do!

..... and the familys have appreciated it.

Mike
              Last edited by Mike Amtower; 09-19-2005, 14:12.

Comment

The "new" Tustin ................

Got these pics from a friend.

The place SURE looks different!

The hangars still appear to be in pretty good shape.
                __________________________________________________ __________

I TOOK SOME PICTURES:
                #001: IN THE PARKING LOT BETWEEN COSTCO AND LOWE'S. HANGAR 2 IS A SIGHT FOR "SORE EYES"
                FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN IT FOR YEARS, YOU GOTTA GET THAT REMINISCENCE OF THE GOOD OLD DAYS.

THE DISTRICT AS THIS SHOPPING CENTER IS NOW CALLED IS ALMOST 100% OPERATIONAL. IF YOU
                LIVE NEARBY, DROP BY AND SEE THE VAST IMPROVEMENT THE CIVILIAN POPULATION MADE. THE
                MARINES THOUGHT IT WOULD BE BETTA TO KEEP "CLEAR THE FIELD OF VISION" SO THE ENEMIES
                COULD NOT PULL A SURPRISE ATTACK ON THE BASE. EXCUSE ME...?

#002: IN FRONT OF HANGAR 2 DOORS.

THE STREET IS TUSTIN RANCH ROAD (TRR). THERE ARE TRAFFIC LIGHTS WITH THE FLASHING
                RED LIGHTS AS THE TRR COMES TO A DEAD END. WARNER MERGES INTO TRR @ THE LIGHTS.
                TRR WILL CONTINUE LATER TOWARD EDINGER, AS AN OVERPASS (TRAIN TRACKS) TO JOIN T
                HE ORIGINAL TRR IN TUSTIN.

#003: A LITTLE VIEW OF THE SNOW-CAPPED YAMA (MOUNTAINS WAY YONDER).

#004: A BETTER LOOK AT THE SNOW-CAPPED (I THINK IT'S) SADDLEBACK MOUNTAINS.

I HAD TO "EDIT" #002 & 003 TO GET A CLEARER LOOK.

THE FORMER FUEL PITS AREA IS BEING BEEN LEVELED AND GRADED AS I TYPE. WHEREABOUT WILL
                THE GOLF COURSE WILL BE, I DON'T KNOW.

I DRIVE BY ON JAMBOREE EVERY DAY SO ANY CHANGES MADE ON THE BASE IS HARDLY NOTICEABLE,
                FOR NOW. WHEN WILL THE NORTH HANGAR BE DEMOLISHED, I DON'T KNOW. I ASSUME WHENEVER
                CONGRESS APPROVES IT (BOTH HANGARS DESIGNATED AS NATIONAL HISTORICAL SITES) AND THE
                CITY OF TUSTIN SAYS OKAY. WHEN THIS HAPPENS AND THE PUBLIC IS ADVERTISED, I'LL BE THERE
                WITH MY CAMERA.

WELL, OLD SHOE/OLD SALT, I LEAVE YOU WITH A LITTLE MEMORY, OUR OLD LTA WITH ITS NEW "FACE."
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Mike Amtower; 12-20-2007, 14:57. Reason: ... adding another pic

Comment

PDF history of the Tustin Hangers

Wally put this link up on the Junk on the Bunk thread and I also
                  brought it over here, as it is pertinent to this thread subject.

It was a GREAT FIND on Wally's part!

This is the history of the hangars from the Town of Tustin. Very good!

http://www.tustinca.org/departments/...sofHistory.pdf
                  Last edited by Mike Amtower; 05-25-2009, 18:14.

Comment

Posted on VMO2 & HMM 161

Photo of the first 19 Officers & 243 Enlisted 1951 when we opened the base. Apparently dosent show here. SF PM ( Should Be HMR 161 VS HMM)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by pm3777; 05-25-2009, 20:56. Reason: Photo

Comment

Link fixed .......

OK, Paul,

Thanks for the "heads up!" ..... I think I've fixed the link where it should work now.

Comment

OMG, what pictures and memories. I can hardly believe it.

I spent many years stationed on Tustin both with H&HS station Operations and with 161 and 764. I remember standing on the steps of the MAG-16 HQ's as GDO and listening to taps being played and later the wonderful quiet. Wow, am I feeling old now!

Comment

informative post
                          steven

Comment

Santa Ana/Tustin

Mike,
                            Thanks for the link. Lotsa memories there. When I got there in early 1969 it was stilll called Santa Ana. I was confused by the Tustin handle until I read the info in the link.
                            Last edited by Joe Reed; 05-11-2010, 09:35.
                            Semper Fidelis
                            Joe

Phu Bai tower:
                            YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
                            YW-11 BuNo-151939
                            '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

Santa Ana/Tustin

Joe,

Back in '66 & '68 (the two times I was aboard), it was known as Santa Ana.

It only became "Tustin" sometime later, and I was out of the Corps in New
                              River in August of '68.

I was only aboard for a short time in June of '68 to pick up a leave advance.

That was the day of the "famous jack hammer" incident on the main drag of
                              downtown Santa Ana. When I tried to bail out of my moving car with my
                              bride to be in the passenger seat.

I had 30 days leave and 10 days travel time starting around the first week
                              of June in 1968. I got to New River sometime near the end of July and was
                              out of the Corps on the 26th of August. I had about three weeks of duty at NR.

Comment

New River short timer

I had about three weeks of duty at NR.
                                LOL! That was more than enough for some, Mike! I liked it because it was close to home and I could "Swoop" nearly every weekend to Atlanta. No I-20 then so it was up to Charlotte and back down to Atlanta....Was in New River with Bo and Nash last year and the changes over the years are dramatic, to say the least. Looks like a real "big time" place now. (sorry to hijack the LTA thread)
                                Semper Fidelis
                                Joe

Phu Bai tower:
                                YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
                                YW-11 BuNo-151939
                                '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

Working...
                                X