Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

6 Dec 70 Medevac plus Christmas tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Dec 70 Medevac plus Christmas tree

I am hoping to assist a friend who was a platoon commander in VN 70-’71 identify the helo crew who medevaced one of his guys out of the Que Sons, 6 Dec 70. The related story goes like this:

“Dec 6, 1970 I had a med evac after a long day...at dusk ...up in the Quesons overlooking FSB Ross... chopper dropped the cable down and as you guys lifted off a tree top got wedged between the Marine and the cable and the chopper literally chugged and almost stalled...now snagged in place it started taking green tracers from 3 directions...MANY MANY as in beau coup eh?

I had a Marine grab a machettee and climb 15 feet up this tree and lop the top off ... the chopper finally pulled loose, carrying along my wounded Marine and a Christmas tree ...

Two people in life I wish I had THANKED BETTER ...that Marine and the chopper pilot and crew!”

If anyone out there remembers this event from the air side, and can give me a steer toward the pilots/crew, please give me a shout.

George Tucker/Swift 12

Re: 6 Dec 70 Medevac plus Christmas tree

There were 3 Phrog outfits left at that time. HMM-262 (Tiger on the aft pylon), HMM-263 (had a bird on the tail) and HMM-364 (a Purple Fox on the tail). That should narrow your search down a little bit.

Comment

Re: 6 Dec 70 Medevac plus Christmas tree

Originally posted by Larry Zok View Post
      There were 3 Phrog outfits left at that time. HMM-262 (Tiger on the aft pylon), HMM-263 (had a bird on the tail) and HMM-364 (a Purple Fox on the tail). That should narrow your search down a little bit.
      Thanks, Larry. I was in -364 until it returned to the States in '71, and was transferred to -263 at that point. I have searched both this site, and the Texas Tech Virtual Viet Nam site (after-action reports and command chronologies) for leads--without success, so far. I have contacted a few squadron-mates and friends and will continue down that path. Thanks, again, and thanks for serving as the Site administrator. Semper Fi. George

Comment

Working...
      X