Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

Distingished Fliers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distingished Fliers

Any Info on these Marines?
    Photograph taken from "RotorVue" Wed. Oct. 8, 1969 edition at MCAS, New River, NC
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dale A Riley; 02-19-2012, 08:16. Reason: added photo info
    READY - SQUAT THRUST - BEGIN

Re: Distingished Fliers

Dale,
    Looks like RVN circa 1965-66 or so, based on when those units were there.
    Semper Fidelis
    Joe

Phu Bai tower:
    YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
    Remember, These are "A" models!
    YW-11 BuNo-151939
    '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

GomenNasi Joe, I should have put down that it was stateside and the units we were asigned to then.
      I tried to post it in photos sections but it would not "take"

Comment

Then maybe awards from RVN after they returned???
        Semper Fidelis
        Joe

Phu Bai tower:
        YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
        YW-11 BuNo-151939
        '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

Sorry for the confusion Joe. I went through the paper but it does not list the squadrons we were with in-country.
          I know Capt. Keckler was with HMM-364 and I was 262.
          Maybe if someone out there served with the others they can fill in the blanks.

Comment

I'm a little slow Dale....I, too, was in HMM-365, but it was before RVN in 1966-67. You might know Capt. Ed Egan or 1/Lt. Bob Quinter. They were there then I think. Ed was a HAC and Bob was a fledgling H2P on his way to HMM-161 RVN and a Silver Star....Bob retired as a Lt.Col. Both good guys, I think.
            Semper Fidelis
            Joe

Phu Bai tower:
            YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
            YW-11 BuNo-151939
            '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Reed View Post
              I'm a little slow Dale....I, too, was in HMM-365, but it was before RVN in 1966-67. You might know Capt. Ed Egan or 1/Lt. Bob Quinter. They were there then I think. Ed was a HAC and Bob was a fledgling H2P on his way to HMM-161 RVN and a Silver Star....Bob retired as a Lt.Col. Both good guys, I think.
              Gunned for Bob Quinter many times. He is one of the best.

Semper Fi

Bruce "Howdy" Mayor HMM-161 '69-'70

Comment

Howdy, you're a good judge of Marines and Pilots, I think!!
                Semper Fidelis
                Joe

Phu Bai tower:
                YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
                YW-11 BuNo-151939
                '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

Howdy, you're a good judge of Marines and Pilots, I think!!
                  Joe, I remember to this day the respect he showed for his crews. We had his six o'clock covered and he got us in and out some very sticky LZ's. At the end of the day he would thank each of us individually and not just grab his flight bag and helmet and walk off the bird. It might sound like a simple little thing, but it meant a lot.

Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Howdy View Post
                    Joe, I remember to this day the respect he showed for his crews. We had his six o'clock covered and he got us in and out some very sticky LZ's. At the end of the day he would thank each of us individually and not just grab his flight bag and helmet and walk off the bird. It might sound like a simple little thing, but it meant a lot.
                    I never got to fly with him, but suspected as much after my interaction with him. Thanks for confirming what I felt was the case.

Did, by chance, you know my good friend, Fred Breese, from Louisiana in '161?
                    Last edited by Joe Reed; 02-22-2012, 07:23.
                    Semper Fidelis
                    Joe

Phu Bai tower:
                    YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
                    YW-11 BuNo-151939
                    '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

I never got to fly with him, but suspected as much after my interaction with him. Thanks for confirming what I felt was the case.

Did, by chance, you know my good friend, Fred Breese, from Louisiana in '161?
                      The name does ring a bell, but after all these years I can't say for sure. It might be his reputation that makes the bell ring. I was there from May '69 - May '70 in avionics.

Semper Fi

Comment

Working...
                      X