Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

Looking for a grid map to find the coordinates and location of YD 78905

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for a grid map to find the coordinates and location of YD 78905

Originally posted by HM lynch View Post
    Chuck, I was the Crew Chief of one of the VM0-3 Gunships that day. What is more amazing, i took a super 8 video of a lot of the action that day. I also sent a detailed letter of the video so that my brother would understand the video. I have attached the letter home to this email. You will see it matches your description of events, even names the team "quizmaster". I had all of my video's converted to digital, and will post this particular day's events to utube later this week. The letter home is 5 pages, so each page is an attahment due to size. One small world isn't it.
    You have got to me kidding me! Wow! Where have you been these past 44 years. Awesome, I can't wait to see the videos. I took 8mm's too at times but not this day. Too busy.

This will really make Bob Riningers decade or new year. He was the radio man in the photo with PFC LAY. He is gonna go ballistic with this news.

Thank you Lord Jesus for such a blessing so late in coming.

_Semper Fi

Chuck
    Semper Fidelis

Charle'

Comment

Harry,

I've converted your letter to your brother into an Adobe Document. Thank you Harry, I can't wait to see what you described in your 8 mm film which is now on DVD. Coming soon to a You Tube near everyone!
      Yep! was there at the beginning and almost to the end of it all and it was unusual for me to take photo's like that while in the midst of an insertion. You were there in the middle and at the end and as you said, it was unusual of you to have taken movies of your work in action as you did. I Thank God that you did.

... and I was right and justifiably worried when I heard you complaining about the NVA shooting back at the Huey's while they were on rocket and gun runs.

You confirmed that it was unusual for them to be so bold and they must have thought they had the upper hand. but like I have always said, somehow they had gotten it into their heads as they moved on toward Hue that they owned this little valley and some how thought that we were the uninvited intruders.
      Attached Files
      Semper Fidelis

Charle'

Comment

Chuck, to further connect the dots, our VMO-3 Pilot that day was Capt. Andrew S. Wells, otherwise know as "Airspeed Wells". My last communication with Airspeed was five years or more ago. He lives in New Mexico, flew for the New Mexico National Guard after his tour in the Marines, then became a corporate pilot. If anyone on the site has Airspeed's contact information you may have another sourse of data. His status with Popasmoke is inactive.

Comment

Chuck,
          PM sent
          Slick

Comment

Here is the youtube link for the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Ds_...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Chuck:

On 12/30/11, you said in your post that you have the After Action Report for Quizmaster/Lt Phelps.

I have been looking all over for it with no luck. Where did you find it?

Can you post a copy or the URL?

My curiosity is burning!!

Semper fi - Happy New Year

Wayne Sutter
              Fighting Mad 1 - 4 Actual, Out

Comment

Originally posted by sutterwl View Post
                Chuck:

On 12/30/11, you said in your post that you have the After Action Report for Quizmaster/Lt Phelps.

I have been looking all over for it with no luck. Where did you find it?

Can you post a copy or the URL?

My curiosity is burning!!

Semper fi - Happy New Year

Wayne Sutter
                Fighting Mad 1 - 4 Actual, Out
                Sure, It was in the 1st Bttn Recon [Reinforced] Command Chronology at the Texas Tech History Project Website.
                http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/ All Marine units represented.

http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/virtualar...tem=1201013198

part of the 1st Btn moved to Phu Bai, 3rd Mar Div to support Force Recon there. Quizmaster was one of the teams to move north on Jan 19.

http://www.virtual.vietnam.ttu.edu/c...1201013198.pdf

January Command Chron for Phu Bai is found in the Feb reports. Be advised the reports are NOT in order. The one for 25 Jan, Quizmaster is mentioned on a few patrols but the one concerned here is on Jan 25th. It is almost at the end, right after the LUNGA point mission.

If you save it to your computer as an Adobe Doc it will be on page #103 of 115 total pages.

Look for Enclosure #48 Co Operation Order # 28-68 dated 25 Jan '68

Harry Lynch's video taken from the supporting HU1E from VMO-3 is posted on You Tube at the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Ds_...ature=youtu.be

The mission is near the end of the film beginning at 1:41 is I believe the beginning of the airsupport prior to the extraction of 1 Btn Co C, 4th Platoons recon team Quizmaster on 25 January, 1968.

At 1:46 - 1:50 the shot of the CH-46 A is my bird YT-6 in the hot LZ at YD 789045. I don’t know which time it is, the first second or the third attempt. The zone looks quite different and quite large. Not as I remember. However the Sng Ta Trach’ River looks familiar when you can see it in the background during bombing runs by the phantoms and A-6’s. When Harry sends me the higher resolution DVD I hope I can clean it up at bit.

If all this gibberish doesn't work, contact me by email and I'll send you anything you need. Cnowotny@msn.com.

In the process of hopefully contacting any living members of the recon team now. Bob Rininger says however that some have had bad run ins with that PSTD thing.

Edit: Thanks to all who helped me. Last night I reached Andy Wells who piloted one of the Gunships flying in support of this mission. Who'd a thunk it took 44 years to put this Humpty Dumpty back together again. In the words of Jim Brown, " I feel good!"
                Attached Files
                Last edited by cnowotny; 01-05-2012, 14:13. Reason: New Info
                Semper Fidelis

Charle'

Comment

Mission accomplished. Yesterday, January 7th, a date that will live in..., in..., my infamous memory, I made finally, after 44 or FARDY FAR Mizzoura years made contact with the family. Father and Sister of Roger Minett Lay USMC in Goshen Ohio.

Rogers father was still alive at 93 and greatly appreciated the contact, the photos and the story of his sons last patrol.

The patrols leader Lt. Phelps had written a similar account in a letter when he wrote the family a personal sympathy letter regarding the circumstances of Rogers death.

I want to especially thank all or "YUN's" that assisted in the successful culmination of my 44 year long and very old investigation that basically finished up in a Super nova yesterday afternoon.

This was NOT a typical extraction in a hot zone. This was an exceptionally HOT zone and the guys of 'Quizmaster' wanted me to tell all the CH-46 crews and the crews of all helo units in Vietnam that there has always been a special affinity for us in their[RECONS] hearts and minds. Of course we knew that, but guys like radio man Bob Rininger 1st Btn, Recon (rein) Co "C" 4th platoon Quizmaster, wanted me to pass this on to all of you'se. Especially to:
                  Major Bob Nelson,
                  Lt. Tim Timmons,
                  Cpl. Jerry Siudzinski,
                  Harry Lynch and
                  Captain Wells of 'Scarface" VMO-3.

Semper Fidelis.

I am one extremely happy camper this fine and very windy Sunday Mornin. Oorah!
                  Semper Fidelis

Charle'

Comment

This is a transcription of Harry Lynch's account of the 'Quizmaster' Extract.
                    The companion piece is his 8mm movie.

The extract begins about 1:40 into the film.

Also I found a few Pareiobolic Easter Eggs in the film as I examined it in slow motion and frame by frame. Example below. In this frame, one of the recon team with his pack rushes from his concealed position toward my waiting 46 about 30-50 yards down hill. The Huey is making a low level pass between the team and my waiting 46.

It is easier to discern in very slow motion but it is one of the team non the less. I would hazard a guess that it is the radio man,Rininger who was the only one wearing tiger stripes that day.
                    Attached Files
                    Semper Fidelis

Charle'

Comment

Working...
                    X