Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

Ch-46 Medevacs Vietnam North "I " Corps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ch-46 Medevacs Vietnam North "I " Corps

According to the 2/9 Jul68 Command Chronology, G/2/9 "Fancy Dan Golf" engaged an NVA force(s) near Hill 174 vic YD053684 on 20Jul68 between 1130 and 1530 local time.

There are no HMM-161 records at the Texas Tech Archive for July 1968.

The HMM-262 July 68 AAR's show two missions that may be what you are looking for:

page 410 is a morning mission that took fire at G/2/9 at 1230 local

page 416 is a afternoon mission that serviced G/2/9

both missions picked up medevacs from someone

Hope this helps. Good luck. Semper Fi

Fighting Mad 1 - 4 Actual. Out.
    Wayne Sutter
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sutterwl View Post
      According to the 2/9 Jul68 Command Chronology, G/2/9 "Fancy Dan Golf" engaged an NVA force(s) near Hill 174 vic YD053684 on 20Jul68 between 1130 and 1530 local time.

There are no HMM-161 records at the Texas Tech Archive for July 1968.

The HMM-262 July 68 AAR's show two missions that may be what you are looking for:

page 410 is a morning mission that took fire at G/2/9 at 1230 local

page 416 is a afternoon mission that serviced G/2/9

both missions picked up medevacs from someone

Hope this helps. Good luck. Semper Fi

Fighting Mad 1 - 4 Actual. Out.
      Wayne Sutter
      --------------

Thank you for jumping in here Wayne - I'm not sure how to read these reports, but it looks like you have found the possible info.
      It's been deduced, that because of the number of KIA's (3) & wounded (11) there was more than one medevac. Maybe someone on this site will respond to having been on those choppers or knows someone that was. There was also a KIA, the next day, on July 21st near that hill by a rocket attack.

Appreciate you posting,
      Semper Fi
      Doc

Comment

Originally posted by Dale A Riley View Post
        Major Leo Ihli (pronounced I-lee) XO of HMM-262 - a mustang from Korea, see photo of me with him under squadron listing. Unfortunately he has RTB
        Dale - Wayne Sutter aka Sutterwl has posted these medevac reports & there is a Fancy Dan "G" on the one page with just about Hill 174's coordinates & it's signed off by Lt Col Steinberg!

And on closer inspection it looks like there is also a pilot named Cole that has Hill 174 coordinates on the report sheet for that day.

Doc
        Last edited by Jim Maddox; 09-13-2011, 16:44.

Comment

Doc, It's photo #13776 (on page 2) of HMM-262 list. I got a reply from LtCol Steinberg and will send you his email address. I have been looking for his co-pilot that day myself for the last couple years, so who knows.
          RTB - Returned to Base Major Ihli is on the left, one squared away old corps Marine - I'm the super short two beered kid on the right.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Dale A Riley; 09-13-2011, 18:18.
          READY - SQUAT THRUST - BEGIN

Comment

Originally posted by Dale A Riley View Post
            Doc, It's photo #13776 (on page 2) of HMM-262 list. I got a reply from LtCol Steinberg and will send you his email address. I have been looking for his co-pilot that day myself for the last couple years, so who knows.
            RTB - Returned to Base Major Ihli is on the left, one squared away old corps Marine - I'm the super short two beered kid on the right.
            Great - I'm anxious to touch base with LtCol Steinberg. If you didn't read the note below this latest post of yours, about info from Wayne Sutter - There was a Lt Cole (Do you know of him?) that flew one of the medevacs Hill 174 also.

You were a two fisted drinker huh?

Comment

Dale its surprizing that you remember after 2 BIG BEERs ! so short!!!

Comment

You should share your beer!
                Semper Fi
                Tim

Comment

Originally posted by timothy View Post
                  You should share your beer!
                  Why.,this must be Dale's day in the 'barrel'. LOL
                  Craze
                  S/F,Mike
                  TAKE NO PRISONERS.,SHOW NO MERCY.
                  DEATH SMILES AT EVERYONE...,MARINES SMILE BACK...

Comment

Still 'no joy' at getting any response from "The Old Tigers" assoc.,but it appears this mission is coming together nicely.,thanks to help from all you guys.
                    I'm going to see if I can get any response from the VHPA admin. Perhaps they may have some suggestions for clearing away some of the cobwebs.
                    Thanks for your help guys,
                    Craze
                    S/F,Mike

Comment

I made contact with LtCol Mel Steinberg over the past couple days. It seems he was one of the pilots that came into Hill 174. I could of written a page or 2 of a long list of reasons of gratitude etc I felt about the medevacs & the crews that flew them. But I really didn't know how to say it or what to say except a big heartfelt THANK YOU for the skill & risk it took to get the guys out.

I'm hoping I'll be able to make contact with others, but if not, I do feel satisfied about what has transpired & appreciate all the help from you all that were involved here on this great site.

OORAH & Semper Fi

& thanks for helping this old 'Doc' out

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Maddox View Post
                        I made contact with LtCol Mel Steinberg over the past couple days. It seems he was one of the pilots that came into Hill 174. I could of written a page or 2 of a long list of reasons of gratitude etc I felt about the medevacs & the crews that flew them. But I really didn't know how to say it or what to say except a big heartfelt THANK YOU for the skill & risk it took to get the guys out.

I'm hoping I'll be able to make contact with others, but if not, I do feel satisfied about what has transpired & appreciate all the help from you all that were involved here on this great site.

OORAH & Semper Fi

& thanks for helping this old 'Doc' out
                        Speaking on behalf of myself & the rest of the helicopter community.,you are very welcome. I can't imagine anything more gratifying than a word of appreciation from those that we flew in support of.
                        Glad to hear that you hooked up with Mel & I'm sure that he has the means to send out additional 'feelers' to finalize this quest for you. (Does this mean that I'm fired LOL)
                        Once again welcome to the Group. Paraphrasing Col. Hal Moore "When the s**t starts.,all we're gonna have is each other." Thoughts are,that this is what binds us all together as a brotherhood.
                        Personally.,I like to express my deepest gratitude to you & your fellow corpsmen. Were it not for you fellas,your aid & selfless commitment to duty..,so many of my fellow Marines would not have made the return to CONUS outside the box.
                        Thank you,
                        Craze
                        S/F,Mike

Comment

Sounds like you would like to contact pilot "Lt Cole". That would probably be B.B. Cole. I had left the squadron by then, but I have an email address for BB.........contact me and I will provide email address for him.

Comment

Doc,

I worked that area too, but was med-evac'ed in June of 1968. I've replied to your thread in the hopes you might have known, or know how I might contact, Navy/Marine Corpsman Woodard Colvin. Doc Woodie saved my life on 11 June 1968 in the vicinity of Red Beach, north of Da Nang, an action for which he was awarded the Bronze Star.

I still owe him the legendary bottle of booze. Any tips on how I might find him would be greatly appreciated!!

Semper Fidelis,

Dan Jones, (Then 1st Lt., HMM-164).
                            djon0741@aol.com

602-684-8816 (Mobile)
                            Chandler, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                              Sounds like you would like to contact pilot "Lt Cole". That would probably be B.B. Cole. I had left the squadron by then, but I have an email address for BB.........contact me and I will provide email address for him.
                              George - My apologies for taking so long to respond. I have not been on this site for a long while. If you see this reply, I would appreciate B.B. Coles email. You can reach me at my home email address: jmadd@comcast.net

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X