Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

Ch-46 Medevacs Vietnam North "I " Corps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ch-46 Medevacs Vietnam North "I " Corps

Hello - I'm new to this site. I was a corpsman with 2nd batt, 9th Marines, 3rd Mar Div '68-'69. I'm looking for CH-46 medevac pilots/crews that may have helped out my USMC company in operations in Vietnam's North "I" Corps regions from July 1968 thru Sept 1968.

Specifically July 20 1968, west of Con Thein, near the Ben Hai River, Hill 174 YD05367

Also Late Aug - early Sept '68 West of the Rockpile in vicinities of Hill 792 & 810 possibly area of Mountains known as Dong Ke Soc XD912564, Nui Tri Pong XD901538, & Nui BA Lao XD927547

Call signs may have been Fancy Dan or Grasshopper

Here is a description of one of the medevacs sometime between Aug 28 - Sept 2nd (if memory serves me on the dates), taken from an email from my former CO written a couple years ago when we re-made contact.

Hope to hear from anyone that reads this & was there then - and by the way - Thank You if you were.

Semper Fi

Doc Jim Maddox
    Attached Files

Re: Ch-46 Medevacs Vietnam North "I " Corps

Doc,
    glad to see you onboard
    Slick

Comment

[QUOTE=Slick;33861]Doc,
      glad to see you onboard

Thanks for helping me get here Slick. Still learning the 'ropes' of the site, but if I make enough mistakes...I'll learn!

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Maddox View Post
        Hello - I'm new to this site. I was a corpsman with 2nd batt, 9th Marines, 3rd Mar Div '68-'69. I'm looking for CH-46 medevac pilots/crews that may have helped out my USMC company in operations in Vietnam's North "I" Corps regions from July 1968 thru Sept 1968.

Specifically July 20 1968, west of Con Thein, near the Ben Hai River, Hill 174 YD05367

Also Late Aug - early Sept '68 West of the Rockpile in vicinities of Hill 792 & 810 possibly area of Mountains known as Dong Ke Soc XD912564, Nui Tri Pong XD901538, & Nui BA Lao XD927547

Here is a description of one of the medevacs sometime between Aug 28 - Sept 2nd (if memory serves me on the dates), taken from an email from my former CO written a couple years ago when we re-made contact.

Hope to hear from anyone that reads this & was there then - and by the way - Thank You if you were.

Semper Fi

Doc Jim Maddox
        wAS WONDERING just what part of 1969 you was there?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome HALL View Post
          wAS WONDERING just what part of 1969 you was there?
          Hello Jerry -

I left end of May '69.

Comment

Semper Fi

Doc Jim Maddox
            Dale Riley & I have been working closely together on this 'project'.,since your first post.
            I just received a copy of a reference book.,that should be of tremandous value in answering your questions.
            This is a 'mission' for us.,so,wish us well. LOL
            Craze
            S/F,Mike
            TAKE NO PRISONERS.,SHOW NO MERCY.
            DEATH SMILES AT EVERYONE...,MARINES SMILE BACK...

Comment

Originally posted by Slick View Post
              Doc,
              glad to see you onboard
              Hey,Slick..,it's always great to see people besides us "Fly-fly Boys".,on board. Because of association..,we're ALL a Brotherhood
              Craze
              S/F,Mike

Comment

[QUOTE=Jim Maddox;33869]
                Originally posted by Slick View Post
                Doc,
                glad to see you onboard

Thanks for helping me get here Slick. Still learning the 'ropes' of the site, but if I make enough mistakes...I'll learn!

Doc
                Welcome aboard.,& we'll all help you out with the site.,especially the "Daily Log-in". Great place to check in on each other & a bit of good natured badgering.
                Craze
                S/F,Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mecollins View Post
                  Hey,Slick..,it's always great to see people besides us "Fly-fly Boys".,on board. Because of association..,we're ALL a Brotherhood
                  Craze
                  Hey Craze - I really appreciate you putting your energy & resources into this. I met Dale today in Gibsonia- a real straight up guy. He mentioned you, & that you were looking into some data. Needless to say it would be "phe-Nam-enal" to hook up with anyone on those medevacs.

Wishin' you the wellist

and much Thanks Brother

Comment

Hey Craze - I really appreciate you putting your energy & resources into this. I met Dale today in Gibsonia- a real straight up guy. He mentioned you, & that you were looking into some data. Needless to say it would be "phe-Nam-enal" to hook up with anyone on those medevacs.

Wishin' you the wellist

and much Thanks Brother
                    Appreciation noted & now that I have that honkin' big ol' reference book.,Dale & I should be able to hook you up with the crew involved.
                    Take care,
                    Craze
                    S/F,Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mecollins View Post
                      Appreciation noted & now that I have that honkin' big ol' reference book.,Dale & I should be able to hook you up with the crew involved.
                      Take care,
                      Craze
                      Checking to see if you came up with anything from the big mother-of-all reference books?

Thanks in advance for even looking!

Doc

Comment

Doc, I did not think you were on a tiger bird but Craze seems to think so. (And you'll not see me disagree with Craze)
                        The HMM-262 AAR's have lots going on that day, Operation Lancaster II, with several "fancy dan" notations between pages 396 and 417 of 650 for the month. Pages 416/417 refer to FancyDan "G" at 055684 with 6 medevacs on a flight led by LtCo. Mel Steinberg (who is alive and well today and came up from Fl for our last reunion in July) The flights on pages 410/411 and 414/415 were also fancydan among others and had more medevacs listed. The exact grid seems to be the key if we can find it but the flights were into so many zones ??
                        READY - SQUAT THRUST - BEGIN

Comment

Originally posted by Dale A Riley View Post
                          Doc, I did not think you were on a tiger bird but Craze seems to think so. (And you'll not see me disagree with Craze)
                          The HMM-262 AAR's have lots going on that day, Operation Lancaster II, with several "fancy dan" notations between pages 396 and 417 of 650 for the month. Pages 416/417 refer to FancyDan "G" at 055684 with 6 medevacs on a flight led by LtCo. Mel Steinberg (who is alive and well today and came up from Fl for our last reunion in July) The flights on pages 410/411 and 414/415 were also fancydan among others and had more medevacs listed. The exact grid seems to be the key if we can find it but the flights were into so many zones ??
                          Dale - Much thanks for the pursuit. Not exactly a "needle in haystack" situation, but I can see it's taking a lot of digging until the right ones comes up. Re-reading my unit chronicles it says YD053687/062688 for coordinates of the area at Hill 174, if that helps.

Also made contact with one of my Nam corpsman buddies after no contact for 43 years (we had worked on wounded together) over the weekend and he recalled meeting a medevac Pilot from our Hill 792 Op while he was on R&R in Nam. He said he thinks he was a Major at the time by the name of Iller or Illey. Does this name come up in any reference material?

Is there anyway I can contact LtCol Steinberg?

Greatly appreciate the effort you & Craze are making.

Doc

Comment

Major Leo Ihli (pronounced I-lee) XO of HMM-262 - a mustang from Korea, see photo of me with him under squadron listing. Unfortunately he has RTB
                            READY - SQUAT THRUST - BEGIN

Comment

Originally posted by Dale A Riley View Post
                              Major Leo Ihli (pronounced I-lee) XO of HMM-262 - a mustang from Korea, see photo of me with him under squadron listing. Unfortunately he has RTB
                              ------------------------
                              I'm still trying to figure out how to get around this site Dale. I went to what I thought was Vietnam Squadrons under HMM -262, but didn't see you & the Major.

By the way - I guess I'm "too civilian-ized" or something, but I don't know what RTB stands for - but when you put 'unfortunately' I think I get the picture - like R.I.P.

My buddy, Doc Ron, would like to see the photo no doubt!

Also is LtCol Steinberg possible to get in touch with? Is he on this site or have an email address I can get in touch thru?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X