Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

53 vs 53 midair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 vs 53 midair

anyone remember the midair between two ch-53s of hmt-301 in the mountains back in 75 and the guard and recovery camp set up in hills near the crash site . i do !!
    non illigitimus carborundumMAF gripe ... deadbugs on windshield...action taken...R&R with live bugs!

I was a SSgt at HMT-301 during that time. 2ndLt Bill Cato (MAJGEN Ret) and I were in charge of the guard and recovery camp. I was quite a site to see Sgt Cheshire's A/C. Sgt Jan White's A/C landed in much better shape, however badly damaged.

K.D. Logue

Comment

How about

The one over Okinawa. I don't remember what year it was, sometime around 2000 I believe and before Oct 2003.

Comment

glad i missed it!

i still get quesy when they show a helo going down on the news.anybodies ,any kind, any time !
        non illigitimus carborundumMAF gripe ... deadbugs on windshield...action taken...R&R with live bugs!

Comment

I remember when a 53 flew into the side of a mountain outside of Pohang Korea, in the early 80's full of troops on a troop lift.

Comment

Missed it to

Lurch I was on another base or at test cell or something when it happened. But when I got back to the barricks I heard about it and saw some of the damage as they were sitting on the Flightline.

Comment

different time frames

Originally posted by JAGarland View Post
              Lurch I was on another base or at test cell or something when it happened. But when I got back to the barricks I heard about it and saw some of the damage as they were sitting on the Flightline.
              i don't think it was the same crash. any way i remember one bird had alpha damage.and the crew made it out of the other one. it had by some fluke landed in a small meadow on top of a mountain. it was a royale b*#ch to salvage cause the rotor wash would catch the pieces and the would fly up towards our rotors like a kite !

Comment

53 vs 53 midair

I remember the Santa Ana crash. One of my best friends, Capt Watson and 3 others died in the first chopper. The second chopper landed with major damage but all aboard survived. They were flying formation when they impacted during a formation lead change. The second pilot was also involved in the 53/130 crash during Operation Eagle Claw (Iran) which resulted in another 8 Marines dying.
                I've looked everywhere and haven't found any mention of this first accident or Capt. Watson's death in any publication (including the USMC Combat Helicopter Association) until this thread. Any other info or links or ? anyone else could send would be greatly appreciated.
                Thank you

Comment

I graduated from flight school with Jim Watson: see photo #3787 (we were in the same class at The Basic School). After flight school Jim went into CH-53's at MCAS Tustin and when he was sent to Vietnam about Nov. 1969 he was assigned to HMH-361. When 361 pulled out of Vietnam in early 1970; Jim Watson, Joe Hutton, and Al Worley where sent to HML-167 to finish their tours of duty.

I remember that Jim Watson was the pitcher on our squadron softball team at Marble Mountain. When Jim rotated home in late 1970 he went to the West Coast, and returned to flying CH-53's. I was sent to MCAS Cherry Point and did not hear about Jim's death until I went to Okinawa in Jan. 1975

What was the date of that mid-air?

Comment

Joe Hutton

I was assigned to retraining Joe Hutton in H-53's out of Oki in '76. He was our S-1 OIC. We were taking a bird up to Atsugi Japan for rework, and the AFCS went out, almost immediately...so it was a non-hydraulic assisted flight, all the way...what a way to retrain...eh? We kept exchanging the controls all the way, due to fatique...LOL. Of course, once we got there, we had a nearly duty-free work week, which was used for physical training (golf).
                    We never went to the bar...well, maybe once...

Comment

date of midair

in the fall of 1974 maybe ? seemslike i remember that it was getting dark around1800 or 1900 don't know for sure , i have CRS syndrome !

Comment

CH-53 mid air

There was a CH 53 carcass in/on the approach end of one of the runways @ MCAS New River (near) base housing...heading northerly...
                        After a few months, I got permission to strip some mechanical parts off of it that were usable to the CP for their schools...Except for the fact that it had crashed, there very many parts that could be useful to the maint schools. I think it took a couple years to finally haul it away...
                        Do you think that was your crash?
                        Hooper

Comment

this is the crash,from HMT-301 @santa ana

Originally posted by qwerty View Post
                          I remember the Santa Ana crash. One of my best friends, Capt Watson and 3 others died in the first chopper. The second chopper landed with major damage but all aboard survived. They were flying formation when they impacted during a formation lead change. The second pilot was also involved in the 53/130 crash during Operation Eagle Claw (Iran) which resulted in another 8 Marines dying.
                          I've looked everywhere and haven't found any mention of this first accident or Capt. Watson's death in any publication (including the USMC Combat Helicopter Association) until this thread. Any other info or links or ? anyone else could send would be greatly appreciated.
                          Thank you
                          Ican,t find anything on it ether! or the names of the dead from the CH-46 CRASH @ YAKOSUKA JAPAN ON aug 20 1973

Comment

CH-53 crash

Sorry, I was referring to the one @ MCAS New River...

Comment

Hmt-301

I was in HMT-301 at the time of the mid-air. I had just flown with Sgt. Cheshire a few days before. I remember his VW bug sitting in the parking area for quite some time after the accident. I can still see it.

Comment

Working...
                              X