Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

CRAVEN CONQUEROR - by Berton Bradley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRAVEN CONQUEROR - by Berton Bradley

I read this poem in Leatherneck magazine in Feb. 1963 and was so impressed by it that I memorized it. Last year, I contacted Leatherneck and was sent a reprint. (Had to make sure I'd remembered it correctly.)

It's the best description of what we knew that I've ever read. When someone says that he wasn't afraid, get away: you know he's either a liar, a nutcase, or a was-never-there phony.

CRAVEN CONQUEROR
    by Berton Bradley

The Bright Face of Danger glares hotly at him
    And blinds him with heart-searing fright,
    But somehow he tremblingly summons the grim
    And quivering courage to fight.
    For it isn't the mythical Man Unafraid
    Whose deeds mark the true cavalier,
    But the Timid Soul -- proving that heroes are made
    Of fearful men conquering Fear.

With butterflies fluttering deep down inside him
    And strength that is waning -- or gone,
    He rides down the desperate doubtings that ride him
    And quakingly drives himself on.
    With fever and chills in each tremulous breath
    And dread that no will can dispel,
    This shaky-kneed paladin, frightened to death,
    Runs scared up the ramparts of Hell.

from Leatherneck Magazine, February 1963

Memorized

Great piece, Ed. Why, pray tell, did you feel the need to memorize it? Just curious. Thanks for sharing.
    Semper Fi
    Joe
    Semper Fidelis
    Joe

Phu Bai tower:
    YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
    Remember, These are "A" models!
    YW-11 BuNo-151939
    '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

Why

Joe,

1. I liked it, and sensed that what it said about courage was true. At that point I had committed to the Marine Corps and was aware that I might someday be tested.
      2. It was a borrowed magazine, and copiers weren't readily available in 1963.
      3. It was short enough, and back in those days my brain worked.
      4. Memorizing it was easier than carrying around a piece of paper in case I wanted to whip it out.

Comment

Working...
      X