Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

Question for the "22' supporters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah1z

thanks Mike ! I gonna swoop and check it out on you tube ! they got some kool helo video on there from OVER THERE ! sf kc
    non illigitimus carborundumMAF gripe ... deadbugs on windshield...action taken...R&R with live bugs!

Comment

Re: Question for the "22' supporters

Chances are it'll be another 'Nam terrain, or similar, like somewhere in africa?
      Sorry Ace...We'll just have to agree to disagree on this subject. No Jungle in the Afghanistan area as far as know and by have the MV-22 fly these longer distance med-evacs to to really well equippe medical facilities, the Marines and soldiers have a MUCH better chance at survival than you and I ever did in RVN, simply because they get there so quickly! The big Yankee model Huey will have to do the short range stuff, and it looks like it has the power and range to do it, combined with the space inside the airframe. What's not to like about that scenario??

Don't believe they will. I believe whats left of the 46's are E's and F's
      Ace,
      the F's were ALL converted to "E" status and configuration years ago, fyi, No more Fs around. When were gettingthe new Fs in 1969 we wondered what happened to the E....Now we know...the mod wasn't ready yet.
      Last edited by Joe Reed; 12-30-2010, 09:28.
      Semper Fidelis
      Joe

Phu Bai tower:
      YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
      Remember, These are "A" models!
      YW-11 BuNo-151939
      '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

Re: Ah1z/Aviation videos

Originally posted by lurch View Post
        thanks Mike ! I gonna swoop and check it out on you tube ! they got some kool helo video on there from OVER THERE ! sf kc
        Lurch,
        Check out the "Patrick's Aviation" site sometime. I believe it was either Joe or 'Sturk' that passed it on to me. More pics & vids than fleas on a pack of Blue-tick hounds.
        CONTENT WARNING !!!: There's a vid on the site of a Canadian A/F H-47 putting on a demo for the media that made my stomach churn a bit & red-lined the PFM. LOL
        The 'driver' put that bird thru "mo' move anna good dose o' 'EcLac'. Even made the film crew & ground support people scatter. Priceless
        Craze
        S/F,Mike
        TAKE NO PRISONERS.,SHOW NO MERCY.
        DEATH SMILES AT EVERYONE...,MARINES SMILE BACK...

Comment

Originally posted by arin_dog View Post
          I, as a UH-1Y crewchief, think that our a/c is very capable of taking over a majority of the Phrogs missions. Granted the yankee doesnt have the kind of airspeed the 46 has.
          Actually, if you look it up the UH-1Y is Faster than the CH-46E. I still think 46's are a symbol of USMC air, and hate to see them go.

Comment

Perspective

I can't think about such things as 46 vs 22 as I am still trying to get over the day they took my REAL rifle and handed me an m-16
            READY - SQUAT THRUST - BEGIN

Comment

In my original thread I admitted that the 46 needs to be replaced. Maybe if they had kept building and improving like the evidently did the Hueys i would be a different story.

Check out htis link where the Army is doing our medevacs in Afghanistan.
              http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40533246..._central_asia/

Is the Corps putting more of these super Hueys in service? Are they forming more squadrons of Hueys?

If the 53 is capable of doing what the 46 has been doing, why were they used so little vs the 46 in VN? They and the 47 are both great heavy lift airframes but they just won't fit in the same places where we need the meddium lift platform.

Everything I've read says the 47 and 53 can do what the MV22 can do only slower with less range.

In our current wars the 22 can do medevacs where ground vehicles can get the wounded to a safe area. The fact is the 22 cannot in anyway protect itself.

Does the Corps believe we will never need the jungle capabilities again?

Personally I would not want to crew an a/c that was put in harms way and couldn't protect itself. That old .50 cal sure made me feel better when we were taking fire in a hot zone. I would feel pretty helpless in a 22 knowing that I was like a duck on a pond while sitting on the ground even with the belly gun they are experimenting with.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyr46 View Post
                Is the Corps putting more of these super Hueys in service? Are they forming more squadrons of Hueys?
                HMLA-367 and HMLA-369 have already traded in their N models for the Ys. The West Coast HMLAs (169, 267, 469) transition first followed by the East Coast (567, 467, 167, then 269), then HMLA-773 in the Reserves. HML/A-269 will be the last active squadron to transition (FY 2013).

If the 53 is capable of doing what the 46 has been doing, why were they used so little vs the 46 in VN? They and the 47 are both great heavy lift airframes but they just won't fit in the same places where we need the meddium lift platform.
                The 53 A/Ds were heavy-lift vs the medium-lift 46s. Now the Ds are classed as medium-lift. The CH-53E is the current heavy-lifter.

Everything I've read says the 47 and 53 can do what the MV22 can do only slower with less range.

In our current wars the 22 can do medevacs where ground vehicles can get the wounded to a safe area. The fact is the 22 cannot in anyway protect itself.
                Some MV-22s are being equipped with the GAU-17 turret system with a 7.62mm minigun. There's talk of mounting a .50 cal on the ramp.

Does the Corps believe we will never need the jungle capabilities again?
                While the main areas of current operations are Afghanistan, the Persian Gulf and the Indian Ocean, which have little or no jungles, the 31st MEU (WestPac) operates throughout the Southeast Asia region.

Personally I would not want to crew an a/c that was put in harms way and couldn't protect itself. That old .50 cal sure made me feel better when we were taking fire in a hot zone. I would feel pretty helpless in a 22 knowing that I was like a duck on a pond while sitting on the ground even with the belly gun they are experimenting with.

Comment

johnyr46, the 53 cost to much to be used a lot in 'Nam. Its bad planning to base all our next wars on flat sand like afghan. Many of the places we may be fighting in next have the same terrain as 'Nam. But believe they know that. The huey is not a save all Bird. Be good if it was. Think its all bad planning. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

The 46 does NOT need to be replaced. It can do more than any huey can wether anyone likes it or not. The huey can not do a button-hook, no way. The 46 can, did, and with the right Pilot, can do it again. But, its to old, and needs replaced. With what? They have nothing that can out do the 46 even now, and they are still shuting them down. Yep, the new boy can out fly it, as its fast. I do believe thats all it has going for it. I'll be the 1st one day, to say, 'I told you so', Yep, I told you so. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

I totally agree, I was with the CH-46 for most of my 22 years in the Corps and a better AC I never seen. True the AF and componets are old and need to be replaced and even some stronger maybe externally mounted engines would be good. But a better AC can't be found. Half of the money put into R&D for the V-22 would have been more than enough to get the line started back up for the CH-46 and it is a proven AC, unlike the V-22 which is still tring to prove it self.

Comment

I agree with you as well RetiredMarine. I will express my opinion when the 46 is despertely needed, and they don't have any, especially when the 22 is grounded. I believe as you do. It was just money in boeings pocket. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

Sounds like they got the bugs out, but maybe not enough buck$ in.
                          http://www.npr.org/2011/10/24/141589693/the-osprey-good-reviews-but-a-costly-program
                          READY - SQUAT THRUST - BEGIN

Comment

Originally posted by Dale A Riley View Post
                            Sounds like they got the bugs out, but maybe not enough buck$ in.
                            http://www.npr.org/2011/10/24/141589693/the-osprey-good-reviews-but-a-costly-program
                            Lool at the organization who published the article, NPR, Nuf' said

Comment

Question for the 22 people. The other night I was waching either the military channel or discovery and they had this BS about all the things the 22 can do and showed a training exersize where when they picked up the troops they were rescuing the rear ramp was only partially down. Having been a grunt for a long time with a pack on my back and full load that would have been the last thing I wanted to see. Will the rear ramp not go all the way like the 46 and 53/? Also the narrator kept calling it the seahawk what was that all about

Comment

Originally posted by John Ace Hunt View Post
                                The 46 does NOT need to be replaced. It can do more than any huey can wether anyone likes it or not. The huey can not do a button-hook, no way. The 46 can, did, and with the right Pilot, can do it again. But, its to old, and needs replaced. With what? They have nothing that can out do the 46 even now, and they are still shuting them down. Yep, the new boy can out fly it, as its fast. I do believe thats all it has going for it. I'll be the 1st one day, to say, 'I told you so', Yep, I told you so. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.
                                "The huey can not do a button-hook, no way." Wrong...not sure about the
                                "N, y & Z" modles but the "good" stick jocks in did them in 66/67....only problem ...it was a tad hard on the C C's skives when the old "salts" were teaching it to the NEWB's

Comment

Working...
                                X