Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

CH53 Retirement of an old friend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CH53 Retirement of an old friend

Started with the CH53A at NAS Alameda Reserve unit1971. Than 14 years at MAG-36 Okinawa with the CH53D. Had the 36 man team installing the the sponson fuel tanks at Kadena . Attended CH53E training in 1984. Retirement of this great bird brings back so many memories !! Had the honor of attending 14 "Team Spirit Exercises" in Korea. This photo 462 at Pohang dont recall which of the 14 years 1973/1987. Maybe Dave Jones knows . Goodnite old Friend Semper Fidelis PM
    Attached Files

Re: CH53 Retirement of an old friend

Originally posted by pm3777 View Post
    Started with the CH53A at NAS Alameda Reserve unit1971. Than 14 years at MAG-36 Okinawa with the CH53D. Had the 36 man team installing the the sponson fuel tanks at Kadena . Attended CH53E training in 1984. Retirement of this great bird brings back so many memories !! Had the honor of attending 14 "Team Spirit Exercises" in Korea. This photo 462 at Pohang dont recall which of the 14 years 1973/1987. Maybe Dave Jones knows . Goodnite old Friend Semper Fidelis PM
    I attended the retirement ceremony. MAG-24 did an outstanding job of retireing this great Warhorse. Kudos to the point man, Maj. Bartom.
    MGYSGT FD BERMUDEZ
    USMC (RET.)

Comment

I've attached a link to the local TV coverage of the CH-53 landing at Ford Island where it will be placed in the Pacific Air Museum. The reporter did error in the activation date of the 53. I started out with HMH-461 back in '66 went on to serve with 462 '70 & 463 70-71 in Nam. Sorry to see the old work horse being out to pasture.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/1...ine-helicopter
      Attached Files
      Larry Groah[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]

Comment

Hate to see my Old Friend go! I flew as a CH-53D Crew Chief from 84 to 88 when I got off of active duty. My check ride was in an old CH-53A borrowed from HMT-204 at the time. Really hate to see the Sea Stallion put to rest.....
        Garfield411
        UH-1N and CH-53D
        Crewchief

Comment

Working...
        X