Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

Worlds Fastest Helicopter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worlds Fastest Helicopter

http://devour.com/video/worlds-fastest-helicopter/ Sounds like a new Gunship !! SF

Kinda makes our first Cobras look pretty antiquated doesn't it?

Comment

Worlds Fastest Chopper

Paul, thank you for the video of the test run. Jim, it is impressive, especially the rotors. I am concerned about the rear fin hanging so far down. Hope it has a good strong shock absorber about the last foot in it, as there may be problems by some young, as they call them nuggets, or new guys, with hard landings. Hope it is more manoverable than was shown, but it was a speed run instead of an up, down, and around test. I noticed the diameter of it mid section, but the trans., has to be a good sized one for the two rorors, and most likely fuel tanks as it surely sucks that fuel. Is it susposed to give the Cobras competition, or what is it, an attack Bird? Bet it costs a bunch of those nice new shinney quarters too. Now they, Boeing or someone, needs to improve the 46, and make a bit bigger one, to haul more packs-cargo, and faster one too. (They could use the ones we have left, and produce more as well. Streatch it, and put bigger blades, and engines on it). Just think what they would do.!!!!! Semper Fi, and Ready-APP.

Comment

Ch-46

"Streatch it, and put bigger blades, and engines on it). Just think what they would do.!!!!! Semper Fi, and Ready-APP. "

John, they did already. It is called CH-47.

ICS check. How do you hear?

Ready one?
        /s/ray

Raymond J. Norton
        1513 Bordeaux Place
        Norfolk, VA 23509-1313

(757) 623-1644

Comment

Ch-46

Ray, the 47 is way to big for the Corps. The 46 could be stretched by 3 ft., and a bigger trans., and blades and engines put on. They already added bigger fuel tanks or something, as they now carry 5000 pounds of fuel, as we only could put 2500 in them when I flew. The tanks don't look any larger, but they did do something. Not sure if it was limited to 2500 then, or they increased the size of the bladders in them, but it was printed a year or so ago they now carried 5000 pounds of fuel. So, it could be stretched, and wider-longer blades, bigger engines, and Trans. for at least 4 plus more packs. Just my opinion. I did haul 20, and 21 packs before on my Alpha's, but they were modified to the sigma tail, and the droop snoots. I just feel it would be less costly than the 60-80 plus million each 22. I won't get into that one again though. My opinion. Semper Fi, and READY-APP. (I feel boeing wouldn't start, or improve the 46, because they knew they would make Billions more with the 22. The 22 has not been put to the missions we had in Vietnam, and it would never be able to do what the 46 has done, or never will. Yes its fast and can Fly further, but thats all its got over the 46, and I believe thats a fact).

Comment

on the beam

your right on glide path there ace. hell even the 53 couldn't pull off the missions that the 46 did. that new bird they showed looks like it might make one heck of a gun/recon ship,even extra high pri medivac or inserts. the 46 would benefit from some of the new avionics and FLIR and a mini gun in the tail & an auto grenade launcher to fire fwd
            non illigitimus carborundumMAF gripe ... deadbugs on windshield...action taken...R&R with live bugs!

Comment

v-22 osprey

it needs that extra speed cause the "Grunts" will have to land so far away from a hot LZ (LIKE THE 53! ) that they will use up the transport time they saved ! nobody wants to risk those big bucks in a HOT LZ
              non illigitimus carborundumMAF gripe ... deadbugs on windshield...action taken...R&R with live bugs!

Comment

Flight tested

Looks like it was tested in south Florida, probably at the Pratt-Whitney facility in Palm Beach County.....I'll look for it in the skies....should be able to hear it as well!!
                Semper Fidelis
                Joe

Phu Bai tower:
                YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
                Remember, These are "A" models!
                YW-11 BuNo-151939
                '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

Worlds Fastest Helicopter

Looks like a mechanical night mare to me.
                  The HH-60 and 65 are recording 30 maintenance man-hours to 1 flight hour.
                  Talking to the flight crews in Reno, the new Cobra and Huey are a avionics nightmare.
                  I was in 34s,46s and cobra sqd,s aside from blade, traney, and other major problems, was our maintenance man hour to flight hour that bad.

Ed

Comment

Worlds Fastest Chopper

Ed, its the same with every new platform. More maint. hours, more problems. Its figured in the construction I would say. Its needed to go back to no cost over runs(you the company pays if so), but the companys would tell good ole USA to shop else where. A 25 million program ends up to 75 million because the company needs the money. NO Ed, our maint to flight hours was very good. That was before the cost plus happened. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

It was in W Palm, Igor does most of it's test flying there because of the weather.
                      Semper Fi
                      Tim

Comment

Tests

Tim, if I was going to do speed runs, I''d do it with less population around. It could have been flown to the proving grounds out west for safety. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

Reason To ATTEND Reunion's

Originally posted by emckinnie View Post
                          Looks like a mechanical night mare to me.
                          The HH-60 and 65 are recording 30 maintenance man-hours to 1 flight hour.
                          Talking to the flight crews in Reno, the new Cobra and Huey are a avionics nightmare.
                          I was in 34s,46s and cobra sqd,s aside from blade, traney, and other major problems, was our maintenance man hour to flight hour that bad.

Ed
                          Ed I was sure I saw you picking those Marines Heads,about the Aircraft in Reno. Sure got a picture or so with you too,at least someone did. Was neat to share with them all,and some even had some question for US too. Semper Fi

Comment

Reason to attend.....

JJ, I agree. It is good to attend the reunions, except it takes most of the year to save for the expenses. Thats the only problem. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

on the beam.....

Lurch, it would be Great if the 46 could get updated avionics, and a auto 79 under the nose with a mini gun on the ramp. Still say the 46 will have to be put back in service before '11 is over. All those billions of dollars gone to boeings pocket, for the 22. Everyone is aware that the 46 will be sold to different countries, and when its done, we can never get them back. It'll be our tough luck. Think about that for a bit. Grips me for sure. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

Working...
                              X