Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

Phrog honored by Corps for four decades of service

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe 151939 was converted ro a d model in Feb 2003 then went to a Navy Squadron was sent to the bone yard in late 2003. I found the first airplane I worked a SNB5 23851 its nowq in a museum in Monroe LA. The next time I get to Louisiana I will have to go see her. SF

Comment

Old friends and aircraft

Thanks Walt,
      Good info. She was a powerhouse of an "Alpa", of course I had turned the fuel control up on both engines back in the day and even I could fly her straight and level or grease on a 60 knot roll-on landing......Good memories, mostly of that old bird. I'm sure your bird has some too.... Appreciate you thinking of me.
      Hope you and yours are well and in good spirits!
      Semper Fidelis
      Joe

Phu Bai tower:
      YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
      Remember, These are "A" models!
      YW-11 BuNo-151939
      '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

Hay Walt I worked on a Beech 18 (same as SNB-5) in the civilian world. Just happened they were hauling drugs with it and they (feds) took a good look at all that worked on it. We had no idea what it was used for, we were just doing an annual inspection on the side from our regular job. The guy leading the job was pushing us to get it done so he could do a run-up on it. He ran it while it was up on jacks and it hopped the jacks and poked a hole in the wing. Too bad he had to patch it on his own!
        S/F
        Tim
        Semper Fi
        Tim

Comment

The other SNB5 39219 later became my first AC to be plane captain on. It was later sold to a civilan , The civil number was N3483.

Comment

Walt remembers!

Remember what I said! Walt never forgets!!
            Semper Fidelis
            Joe

Phu Bai tower:
            YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
            YW-11 BuNo-151939
            '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

Phrog 153402

I flew 153402 as YS 6 while with HMM-162 from 1984-1987. I qual'd on it and took it over from Jimmy "JP" Paige on my first cruise in '85. It was my bird on my 2nd cruise 86-87 and several Det's in between. I logged lots of hours on that baby. She was a strong bird.

I last saw it on HMM-261's line at Al-Asad during OIF II in March 2004. It's MODEX was EM 06. I got a final picture with it after all those years. It's a shame to see it on a stick but they couldn't have picked a better one.

Col. Thacker, who dedicated it, was a boot Lt. in 162 on my second cruise. I know we flew together numerous times on that bird.

Phrogs Phorever

Ed Viera
              Tiverton, RI

Comment

153402/ Al-Asad

Just a couple pics of 153402 from what I have scanned to digital.

ED
                Attached Files

Comment

Good memories

Ed,
                  Great memories of a good bird! Glad yours has been kept for all to see! (Still wish it was green)
                  Semper Fidelis
                  Joe

Phu Bai tower:
                  YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
                  YW-11 BuNo-151939
                  '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

BuNo151939

I flew this bird several times while a member of HMM164:
                    11/18/65 1R7 1.3 hours
                    3/15/66 1Q5 2.1 hours