Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

CH53E Lifespan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CH53E Lifespan

Thank all of you for your service. My son just received his AC wings for the CH53E. Given the SS is several years past it's expected lifetime and the King Stallion is still about 4 years away, I was wondering what your thoughts are on the safety of the SSs are. I've seen reports on issues with wire chafing that may have been the cause of the loss of a Navy MH53 and its crew. I'm just trying to understand this issue better. Thanks

Re: CH53E Lifespan

Wire chaffing can happen to any aircraft, no matter how old it is.
    Semper Fi
    Tim

Comment

I live in Norfolk, Virginia, very near the hanger where the MH53E that crashed is based. I am also within spitting distance of the crash site.

I believe that the local press and scuttle but has covered the issues well.

My conclusion, and the conclusion of the press, is that the Navy failed to dedicate the funds, time, and equipment to properly maintain their aging MH53 fleet.

I have seen no reference to a failure on the part of the Marine Maintainers. The only reference was that the Marine CH53E aircraft received the same special inspections that were ordered of the Navy.

As those of you who cleared the mines in Vietnam with the jury rigger CH53's back in the 70's, pulling a mine sweeper placs a different load on the helicopter. That's why you see the reinforced tail. I do not suggest the cause, only make an observation.
      /s/ray

Raymond J. Norton
      1513 Bordeaux Place
      Norfolk, VA 23509-1313

(757) 623-1644

Comment

Folks, I was a 53 crew chief and got over 200 plus hours of flight time mine sweeping in Haiphong Harbor from March to Sept 1973. Flew off four LPH's. Lot of work for very little reward. Those sailors got the life @ sea ! I was surprised that we didn't lose more than just the 2- 53's that crashed during "End Sweep". Nice of the Navy to leave the crashed 53's @ the end of the Cubi Pt. runway in pieces for ALL to see ! The 53D's had about 24 plus man hours of maintenance per flight hour back then. The rotor heads had grease fittings on them because they leaked oil so badly ! Find that in a NATOPS safety manual !! I remember it well. My plane was # 156955. It was retired in 2011 to the bone yard in Az. after service in Afghanistan and HMH362. That is the life span of a "Shitter". Cpl.Steve Eaton,HMM165,CH53,CC,rvn,rnvn,1972/73. Semper Fi.

Comment

Working...
        X