Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

26 March 1967 HMM-363 H-34 Shot down Info on Crew Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26 March 1967 HMM-363 H-34 Shot down Info on Crew Please!

Received via Squadron Website John B. Lang is looking for information. Thanks in advance for any and all information that anyone has. Our Command Chronology is lacking any definitive information and we do not seem to have any After Action reports for that time period!

Mr. Stevenson,

I am working on a book about Charlie Company, 1/4--specifically about their action during Operation Beacon Hill in March 1967. On 26 Mach 1967, One of HMM 363's helos was shot down attempting a medevac. I have the After-action and command chronologies for the squadron. However, the after-action only identifies the aircraft as YZ-69. Is there any way to identify who the pilots and crewmen were that day?

Thank you.

Semper Fi,

John B. Lang
    LtCol USMC (Ret.)

Semper Fi

Brook

Brook Stevenson
    9/'67 - 10/'68

Re: 26 March 1967 HMM-363 H-34 Shot down Info on Crew Please!

Brook/LtCol Lang:

The POPASMOKE website used to show a link to some University/College in Texas that had digitized the HMM-363 Squadron Command Chronology (declassified). I had printed some pages for myself some years ago but the pages don't show the e-mail address.

I suggest you contact Larry Zok. I think he is the most likely person to know the link.

Semper Fi

"Crazy Joe" Scholle
    HMM-363

Comment

thanks for the reply..... I know what and where you are suggesting... that information is not available that is the reason for the query of those of us remaining... there are no known After Action Reports for that time period and the Command Chronologies are not informative of any other additional information than what we already have and has been stated in the query.

Brook Stevenson
      9/'67 - 10/'68

Comment

I haven't found info on the crew, but the BuNo was 145796. Not exactly what you're looking for but it might help.

Comment

thanks for that, it is a mystery... nobody seems to want to answer or nobody knows.... it is posted for observation several places other than here too.

S/F

Brook Stevenson
          9/'67 - 10/'68

Comment

Been doing a little digging of my own but haven't booted up any names yet. HELIX site has this buno listed as w/o 27 Mar '67,Dong Ha,RVN. Went to the Texas Tech site but as previously mentioned.,only chronologies from HMM-363.
            I would appear that VMO-6 flew guns for the medivac but copies of their reports are rough to read & once again....,no AAR's.
            Charlie Co. / 1 / 4 called in the mission & provided a perimeter following YZ-69 going down in the treeline from S/A,A/W,& mortar fire. The crew were on the ground until the following day due to hell-a-cious fire fight erupting. Haven't found any info as to who chopped them out the next day.
            This mission flown in support of Operation Beacon Hill I just south of Cua Viet River.
            Interesting read on TT site.,under the Operations heading.,RVN.,Pp. 45,46.,SITREP's. Will keep looking. Somebody gots ta have a log book or a clue out there.
            S/F
            Craze
            S/F,Mike
            TAKE NO PRISONERS.,SHOW NO MERCY.
            DEATH SMILES AT EVERYONE...,MARINES SMILE BACK...

Comment

You might want to check with Tim O'Toole. I think he and Brian Wise were shot down sometime during that time frame and had to spend the night with the grunts.

Comment

Thanks Gentlemen all info is appreciated even though you have found our problem of lack of it. S/F

Paul give me an email or something I don't know if I have your current one and I am not sure if I have the two pilots info current anymore either.

Brook Stevenson
                9/'67 - 10/'68

Comment

Armed with the date and the BuNo of the UH-34D, 145796, you can request the accident report from the US Navy, which should contain the names of the crew.
                  "Aircraft Accident Reports are maintained by the type of aircraft and the date of the accident. Due to staff limitations, the Naval History and Heritage Command can only provide one accident report at a time. The Command maintains accident reports through 31 December 1972."

These requests can be mailed to the following address:

Naval History and Heritage Command
                  Aviation History
                  805 Kidder Breese Street SE
                  Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374-5060

Comment

thanks for the heads up.... I think we have found the Pilot and he is in conversation with the requesting party of the information.

Brook Stevenson
                    9/'67 - 10/'68

Comment

who was the pilot?

Tom Knowles

Comment

Tim O'Toole and copilot Brian Wise I believe

Brook Stevenson
                        9/'67 - 10/'68

Comment

Working...
                        X