Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

HMR-161 Korea Pics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMR-161 Korea Pics

I am not a USMC vet however I am trying to get some info on some pics I found in the attic of a house in Decatur ,Ga. I found them in a camera box. there are pics & 180 negatives. The pics were a family get together on 26/12/1951. The negatives were 99% Korea about the same time frame. I would like to share them with anyone on this forum if interested. I scanned the negatives to my computer which would make it easy to send to anyone. I will be visiting the county courthouse to research the deed history. My best guess is that the pics were of this vets parents & siblings and that he may have occupied this particular house after his return from Korea.

Re: HMR-161 Korea Pics

Anything associated with HMR-161 and any HMR unit flying the Sikorsky HRS helicopter is of great interest to me. I host a database website tracing the history of the HRS helicopters. Please contact me at: sonofthor@sbcglobal.net

I'd love to see the photographs you've got. If there's people in any of them, I might even be able to identify some of them.

Thanks!

Craig
    Cheers,

Craig

http://www.hrs-helicopter.com

Comment

Originally posted by Craig59 View Post
      Anything associated with HMR-161 and any HMR unit flying the Sikorsky HRS helicopter is of great interest to me. I host a database website tracing the history of the HRS helicopters. Please contact me at: sonofthor@sbcglobal.net

I'd love to see the photographs you've got. If there's people in any of them, I might even be able to identify some of them.

Thanks!

Craig
      I'll send a few at a time. When I started scanning the negatives the hair on my neck stood up.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig59 View Post

Thanks!

Craig
        My name is Steve. My email is: p47tbolt@bellsouth.net

Comment

Here is the photo bucket link:

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a37...ean%20war-era/

Comment

Originally posted by Garandguy1 View Post
            Hey great pictures in there showing the forward area of HMR 161 around Musan ni. Brought back some memories. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Ubel View Post
              Hey great pictures in there showing the forward area of HMR 161 around Musan ni. Brought back some memories. Thanks
              My pleasure. Found some more negatives and scanned them in. Hope to get them posted to the same link in a few days. A good pic of the guy that took them was among them.

Comment

Did you recognize anyone in the pics?

Comment

sorry, at my age I have a hard time recognizing my wife and kids. I was in HMR161 and was a crew chief on one of the helicopters in the picture. We did some of our maintence in the rice paddys in the pictures. Thanks again for the pictures. Now I have some pictures to show my kids and grandkids.

Comment

Somebody had a sweet '50 Ford ragtop!! Thanks for sharing all the pics!!!
                    Semper Fidelis
                    Joe

Phu Bai tower:
                    YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
                    Remember, These are "A" models!
                    YW-11 BuNo-151939
                    '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

sorry, at my age I have a hard time recognizing my wife and kids. I was in HMR161 and was a crew chief on one of the helicopters in the picture. We did some of our maintence in the rice paddys in the pictures. Thanks again for the pictures. Now I have some pictures to show my kids and grandkids.
                      Great news. After searching the deed records and with the help of Craig Thorson, I have a name to go with the Pics. It is Edward John Nicholson Jr. He passed away in '08 but I located his wife in Kennesaw,Ga about 30 Miles from me. Her son lives in the same subdivision and My in laws in Kennesaw so I went up there today and gave her the negatives & photos. She & her children were thrilled. Words cannot express how I feel. Knowing that a family can now put pictures with the stories that he told them.. Glad they brought back memories for you. Do you remember Ed?

Comment

Sorry I don't remember him. He was there before me I think. Glad the family got the pictures. I know for me it brought back alot of good memories. I had lost most of my pictures years ago. To much moving. Thanks again for sharing the pictures.

Comment

I was at LTA Santa Ana 1951 when HMR-161 shipped out to San Diego I remember them in formation boarding a train for San Diego. for their tour in Korea. Cant remember what month 1951 think it was mid year. Knew several of the men but didint recognize them in the photos. The HTL-3 Bell Helicopters with the stretchers on the skids & the OE-1 fixed wing were VMO-6. I believe they were at site A-9 Tonggarii with the 1st Marine Brigade. I joined them in 1953.
                          Last edited by pm3777; 11-28-2012, 18:00. Reason: Korea not Vietnam

Comment

Sure did Joe, Korea. Guess am getting 3 wars crossed up !!

Comment

Working...
                            X