Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

Maj. Gen. V.a. Armstrong,deceased

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maj. Gen. V.a. Armstrong,deceased

I returned from the visitation in morehead city this pm.there were many retired in attendance on sat. Evening. Sf

Where is an Obit

Should be posted under Obits with some history. Is that available to you ?? SF PM

Comment

I had the pleasure of a day flying with Gen. Armstrong in the copilots seat in 1970. I wasn't aware that he had been one of the main movers in the 46 program, but despite having forgotten more than I knew about the aircraft, he was quite tolerant of a young Lieutenant that was convinced he was the best phrog phlyer around. A gentleman in every way. RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Quinter View Post
        I had the pleasure of a day flying with Gen. Armstrong in the copilots seat in 1970. I wasn't aware that he had been one of the main movers in the 46 program, but despite having forgotten more than I knew about the aircraft, he was quite tolerant of a young Lieutenant that was convinced he was the best phrog phlyer around. A gentleman in every way. RIP
        I second what Bob says...I had the pleasure of flying the General in 1971 and he was a real class act - hell of a leader! Semper Fi, Sir!

Comment

Gen. Armstrong

I agree too Gen. Armstrong was a one of a kind. S/F, and READY-APP.

Comment

Gen Armstrong

Knew him as a Capt 1950 HMX-1 He went from there to Korea as the first OIC of VMO-6, First rate Marine Officer in all his service !! SF

Comment

Gen Armstrong

He didn't know it all, but there wasn''t much he didn't. S/F, and READY-APP.

Comment

General Armstrong was my CO in HMX 1960 ,he was allso MAG 36 CO in Nam when our squadron 262 arrived in DEc 66.
                While attending a HMX reunion in DC we boarded buses for a visit to the Wall, Top Karr and i was setting behind the general and taking to him when he came out with " You nknow the Marine Corps has't changed a bit .its stll hurry up and wait.SF

Comment

Gen Armstrong

Walt, that shows the caliber of the Man for sure. They don't make them like that anymore. Its a shame. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.
                  Last edited by Ace Hunt; 11-09-2010, 19:52. Reason: removed a sentence

Comment

Doing Well !!

ACE He passed on months ago. See Obits.

Comment

Finding out

Paul, I missed it for sure, but when did he Pass? Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

Gen. Armstrong

Paul, it was a while back for sure. Wish it had been posted that he passed in May, and not reciently. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

Good to Know Him

Originally posted by Walt View Post
                          General Armstrong was my CO in HMX 1960 ,he was allso MAG 36 CO in Nam when our squadron 262 arrived in DEc 66.
                          While attending a HMX reunion in DC we boarded buses for a visit to the Wall, Top Karr and i was setting behind the general and taking to him when he came out with " You nknow the Marine Corps has't changed a bit .its stll hurry up and wait.SF
                          Walt ! Diane and I sat across from General Armstrong at the lunch,and He was talking about how old he was. He ask how old we thought he was? I said well maybe _______and He said "Just about right". Diane said "NO he couldn't be! He just smile and took a picture with us .

Comment

Reason To ATTEND Reunion's

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"]Its a good reason to attend reunions because you get to see others you served with and to meet the many others that are your Brother marines. Everyone have a good Marine birthday and think about us ALL. God Bless you ALL![/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Good to know him

JJ, its good to get to go to reunions and get to visit with the top Brass. This last Squadron reunion, had I gotten to go, I could have had the evening meal with my Gunner, and Gen. Jones. It was a good night my Gunner told me. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

Working...
                              X