Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

HMR/HMM-161 history

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMR/HMM-161 history

I got this email from Capt. Hoover:

161 History
    Monday, September 20, 2010 9:09 AM
    To: hma1369@yahoo.com

Sir,
    I am a Captain with VMM-161 (formerly HMM-161, HMR(L)-161, HMR-161) at MCAS Miramar in San Diego. I have been with the squadron for close to five years, originally flying the CH-46 before transitioning to the MV-22. Over the last couple years, I have become the squadron's ad hoc historian, due mostly to the fact that I am fascinated with the squadron's past. Our squadron will celebrate it's 60th birthday next January 15th, and I am trying to put together something to commemorate the squadron's illustrious past. I have compiled quite a few photographs (even some old video) of the squadron but am always looking for more. I would like to exchange photos and/or information about the squadron's early days in Korea, SoCal, and Hawaii. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

-Captain David Hoover
    VMM-161 Director of Safety and Standardization
    MCAS Miramar, San Diego, CA
    If you have any photos, videos, info, etc. please contact Capt. Hoover.

1951 lta, hmr-161

Capt my memory was of the formation of HMR 161, (H19 Helicopters) 1951 & their departure VIA rail from the rear of the #1 Blimp Hangar at than LTA Santa Ana, (later MCAF) They went to San Diego than shipped out to Korea as the first Marine Transport Sqd in combat. Back than I knew most of the Marines from our Helicopter indoctrination at HMX-1. It was than an Expieremental Sqd not the Presidential Sqd. LtCol Keith B. McCutheon was the CO (Later 4 Star Gen) Also Capt Armstrong later MGen . I was Asst Maintenance Chief in VMO-2 as it also formed at LTA. I later was Line Chief in VMO-6 in Korea (First Helicopter Sqd in combat the old HO3S) , Later the HTL3 & than the HO5S Helicopter. Would surely enjoy any Photos etc you have of those early Marines !! Gy previous Msgt E 7 Paul Moore
    Last edited by pm3777; 09-21-2010, 17:26. Reason: Title should Be LTA & HMR-161 not small letters.

Comment

Capt. I joined HMR161 in early 1953 at Ascom City the rear area where we did all our heavy maintenance. Later went forward to Munsan-ne to be a crew chief. There are pictures of both areas in the Korea picture area of pop a smoke. Not to many 161 Korea people around any more. Jack Ubel

Comment

Working...
      X