Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

Marine Helos in Korea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOK-1s didn't enter service until 1956.

Comment

I have the first HOK-1's being accepted by the Marines in 1953.
      Have a look at
      http://www.h43-huskie.info/framesetmarines.htm

Comment

I was in HMR161 in Korea both at Ascom City and Munsan ne. Saw VMO 6 helos alot . They had Htl's from Bell and H05S's. Never saw a HOK I agree with PM He should know!!

Comment

Argue with PM or Walt?? Not me!

Never saw a HOK I agree with PM He should know!!
          Yes he should and he does!! If Paul Moore or Walt Jones tell ya' something happened a certain day or a certain way, put it in the bank!!
          Semper Fidelis
          Joe

Phu Bai tower:
          YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
          Remember, These are "A" models!
          YW-11 BuNo-151939
          '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

HMX had Hok's when I was there in 1960 , they where in the same hanger as the HR2S 's ,me I was scared to get close to a HOK ,one day TSgt Dugas if I would take a hop with him I refused his offer a few days later that bird crashed killing everone. I think 3 crashed while I was there, I was glad to see the UH1E take their place. SF

Comment

No HOK flight for Walt!

Walt,
              That very well might've saved your life! Good news for us that hadn't had the pleasure of meeting you yet!
              Semper Fidelis
              Joe

Phu Bai tower:
              YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
              Remember, These are "A" models!
              YW-11 BuNo-151939
              '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

Originally posted by SIDSIKO View Post
                I have the first HOK-1's being accepted by the Marines in 1953.
                Have a look at
                http://www.h43-huskie.info/framesetmarines.htm
                Thanks for the link. It appears that page contradicts itself though. Later on it says 1956 and all of the other data on that site supports that:

The HOK-1 was flown at the NATC at Patuxent River as early as March 1955, before it was placed in service with Fleet Marine Force units. These were so called BIS-trials. Marine Corps line pilots were assigned to put the machines through the various flight regimes that would be required for field performance after delivery to the Fleet Marine Corps units. Information from these flights was also used to determine serviceability and maintenance requirements. The BIS trials were begun only after factory flight testing had been completed. In about March 1955, an HOK-1 disintegrated in flight over the Chesapeake Bay, killing the pilot. The BIS trials were suspended until the accident investigation was completed. In September 1955, the BIS tests were resumed with five Marine Corps pilots participating. On about Sept 23, 1955, another HOK-1 crashed in the woods a few miles north of Patuxent River. The pilot was killed. The BIS tests were again suspended until the accident investigation was completed. The first deliveries to the Marine Corps began in 1956.

Comment

Helos in Korea

Gentlemen, I'm just glad by the time I started flying, the 46 was in service. Especially that the tail falling off, had been re-designed and fixed. Guess the 46 was a result of the HUP-2. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

Working...
                  X