Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

Where Reunion 2010?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Reunion 2010?

I was wondering if the general membership of this association has any say on where the reunions will be held. Strictly my thoughts, I'd like to see the next reunion (2010) be held on the West Coast at one of five places, not necessarily in the order I write down.

San Diego: MCRD San Diego, MCAS Miramar, and Camp Pendleton in the area makes this site a very attractive place for our get-together.

San Francisco: The Marine Memorial Club and the naval bases in the area and the tourist attractions in a very compact and easy to get around city might make this place a good reunion site. And the Golden Gate, which was the site of many farewells and welcome-homes.

Seattle: Very convention-oriented city, beautiful setting, the Sound, the Cascades, the Olympics, Boeing Aerospace Museum, Sand Point, Bremerton. If you haven't been there, you'll love your first visit.

Reno

Las Vegas

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Semper Fi,

del Rosario
    HMM-365
    Vietnam 1964-65

Reunion 2010

Let's hope the next reunion will be held in the Fall or Spring.

It seems like the reunions are usually held in the middle of summer when it
    is the hottest and most expensive timeframe at most places.

Comment

2010 Pas

I can tell you're from the west coast Del... I had to travel to Ft. Worth, Reno, all over as did we all. I like the heart land in the middle of the country. Still have to travel, but it's more reasonable!
      Semper Fidelis
      Joe

Phu Bai tower:
      YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
      Remember, These are "A" models!
      YW-11 BuNo-151939
      '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

reunion 2010

I go for Vegas or Reno--It was nice weather at last Reno trip--airline tickets aren't any cheaper flying half-way across country than going all the way.

Comment

I would cast my vote for Reno. The 2000 reunion in San Diego was terrible and after the treatment we received in San Francisco when we came home from Nam I sure as hell don't want to go back there for a reunion. Besides they would probadly protest us there and Seattle. SF

Comment

Fly??

I was hoping to drive and tow my bike....It's a toss up money wise, but they won't let me check my Harley as baggage! LOL!
            Semper Fidelis
            Joe

Phu Bai tower:
            YW-11 for Phu Bai DASC-
            Remember, These are "A" models!
            YW-11 BuNo-151939
            '65 Model CH-46A

Comment

Reunion 2010

I live in South Texas. I have been to Pensacola, Las Vega, San Diego, Reno, FT. Worth and now DC. I think the board should really consider Oklahoma City. Not quite centered but close. The Rodeo Cowboys Assn. used to hold the National Finals there. There are a lot of Hotel rooms, plenty of sight-seeing tours. Also I would like to see the reunion held in the fall. Say late September or November. Maybe around the 10th. What a birthday party we could have with all the Marines in our Assocation.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Semper Fi
              charlie baker

Comment

Personally I would prefer Minneapolis so I wouldn't have to travel or New Orleans so I could ride the train again like I did Christmas leave of 64 back to Memphis. I went to a martial arts tournament near New Orleans a few years back and was treated real well.
                Howard Nelson

Comment

Reunion 2010

I agree that we should rotate the region - east, middle, west. I also agree with those that would like to have the reunion held at a time when it is not so hot, or frigid, or when it is hurricane season, or tornado season.

I think it's the West Coast's turn in 2010 since it will follow Washington, DC (2008) and Ft Worth (2006). My vote would be for SEATTLE. But if I really had my say so, I'd vote for Anchorage, Alaska. Hunting and fishing and the Great Alaskan Bush . For those who have been there, you what I'm talking about.

But wherever it will be held at I think the membership should be informed about the location and dates at least 18 months in advance so that we have time to plan our schedule and budget.

Semper Fi,

del Rosario
                  HMM-365
                  Vietnam 1964-65

Comment

Reunion 2010

Since we are considering locations for the 2010 reunion, I would recommend either Orlando, or Tampa, Fl. in Nov. or May.

Many, many, hotels and attractions in either area. The two cities are seperated by about 45 miles.

Both airports are Primo, easy in, easy out. Thousands of military retirees reside here and would welcome us for our venue.

Hotel rates are reasonable compared to past reunions, I can't say the same for Disneyworld, as they just raised their prices to $85.00 for a one day ticket.

Something to consider
                    MGYSGT FD BERMUDEZ
                    USMC (RET.)

Comment

Seattle in a heartbeat. They are almost as liberal and gay as SanFran but hell, it's close for me.....
                      S/F
                      Bill WQeaver

Comment

Reno was my first reunion, it was great, my wife won a bunch of money and she shared it with me. The Hilton in Reno seemed to be large enough to handle our reunion with ease. Vegas and Seattle can be exspensive.

Comment

2010 Reunion

I live on the East Coast and have traveled to the West Coast and down to Pensacola as well as to the squadron reunions all over. I would like to see it in the middle of the country-Vegas would be OK. Or Maybe closer East to Branson, MO. Someplace that is family oriented.

Frankly I have had my fill of Florida.

But then again it is all about getting together with folks that have the common bond of Marine Corps,Flying machines, and the war. So it really doesn't matter where we go as long as the beer is cold and we can party without having to dance around incoming!

Semper Fi- Dennis Blackwell
                          Last edited by accs; 08-11-2008, 12:29.

Comment

2010 Reunion

For my Money and my two cents worth I have enjoyed being wherever we can all get together. To be fair to everyone the middle of the country someplace might be a good thing. Vegas or maybe a little more east to Branson MO might be good spots. Both are geared toward families and the incoming is self-inflicted. Frankly, as long as the beer is cold and the rooms don't leak (this should disqualify Pensacola) I am for it. After all its all about being with folks that have similar war experiences, fellow Marines, and of course linked by Marine aircraft.
                            Semper Fi!
                            Dennis Blackwell
                            262-68-69

Originally posted by delRosario View Post
                            I was wondering if the general membership of this association has any say on where the reunions will be held. Strictly my thoughts, I'd like to see the next reunion (2010) be held on the West Coast at one of five places, not necessarily in the order I write down.

San Diego: MCRD San Diego, MCAS Miramar, and Camp Pendleton in the area makes this site a very attractive place for our get-together.

San Francisco: The Marine Memorial Club and the naval bases in the area and the tourist attractions in a very compact and easy to get around city might make this place a good reunion site. And the Golden Gate, which was the site of many farewells and welcome-homes.

Seattle: Very convention-oriented city, beautiful setting, the Sound, the Cascades, the Olympics, Boeing Aerospace Museum, Sand Point, Bremerton. If you haven't been there, you'll love your first visit.

Reno

Las Vegas

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Semper Fi,

del Rosario
                            HMM-365
                            Vietnam 1964-65

Comment

The Association reunion planners should qualify for hazardous duty pay or at least get the Combat Action Ribbon for their work because no matter where the reunions will be, or in what hotel, and what activities are programmed, etc., not everyone will be completely satisfied with the package. The average reunion attendee has little or no clue on how much work it takes to put one of these conventions together, nor are the planners given their just due for their work and sacrifices to give us the great get-togethers.

That said, here's some suggestions:

Sheraton Seattle Hotel - 1258 guest rooms, meeting/banquet capacity 2200

Westin Seattle Hotel - 891 guest rooms, meeting/banquet capacity 2000

San Francisco Marriott Hotel - 1498 guest rooms, meeting/banquet space 100,000 sqft

Las Vegas - several hotels with similar or greater capacity

Reno - same same LV

Good luck to the next reunion planners and reunion coordinator!

s/f
                              del Rosario
                              HMM-365
                              Vietnam 1964-65

Comment

Working...
                              X