Knew some folks here and thought it'd be good to post.....

Hello All, this email it is to inform you that HMM-161 one of the primary CH-46 squadrons that participated in Operation Dewey Canyon will be gathering in Charleston, SC this Oct. 8-11, 2015, and you are all invited to join us.

In the course of the research I am doing on Dewey Canyon many infantry and artillery veterans have expressed an interest in meeting the air crews and pilots who got the food and supplies in and the wounded out, often in the most extreme of circumstances. This is the time and place. As the HMM-161 reunion coordinator I can guarantee you a great time, meeting some great people who shared part of that battlefield with you. We would be honored to have you join us.

Some specifics:

Place: Crowne Plaza Hotel in Charleston, SC

Date: October 8, through 11. The hotel is about 10 minutes away from Patriots Point Maritime museum which will be the focal point of some of our activities. There also are many cultural activities available in Charleston at that time. We'll get into those as we get closer to the date.

Cost: Rooms are $129 per night which includes two breakfasts each day you are registered.

The cost of registration is $161, which will include two dinners, a reception on Thursday evening, Oct. 8; one lunch, (breakfasts included in the room cost), transportation to Patriots Point for the Oct. 10 dinner event, and registration packages which will include T-shirts and other mementos.

While the final agenda is not set there are a number of items that are.

1. Patriots Point has recently added a CH-46D model to its displays. It is the same aircraft that was assigned to HMM-161 at New River in November, 1967 with Jerry Ganey as crew chief. (Jerry was wounded crewing that aircraft in Vietnam and I understand the patch where the bullet entered is still visible.) It has been painted in appropriate colors and HMM-161 markings.

2. We will be having a squadron dinner on the hangar deck of the USS Yorktown on Saturday night Oct. 10. 2015. The Yorktown is moored at Patriot's Point.

The hotel will be sending me a registration code and other contact info for our group. As soon as I have it I will send out a registration form.

Please forward this email to all you know from the 9th and 12th who participated in Dewey Canyon or have been assisting in the research on Dewey Canyon.

I will forward a registration form in the near future.

Semper Fi

Ron Winter
HMM-161 Reunion Coordinator
Dewey Canyon researcher for the USMC History and Museums Division

HJRWinter@comcast.net