Announcement

Collapse

Terms of Use Agreement

1. You agree, through your use of these public Forums, not to post any material which is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, harassing, threatening, harmful, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You further agree not to use these public Forums for advertising or other commercial enterprise purposes. Any questions directed to, or concerning the administration of this website, will be sent to admin@popasmoke.com and not posted to the public Forums.

2. All postings express the views of the author, and neither the administrators nor POPASMOKE will be held responsible for the content of any postings submitted by the Members or anyone else. The administrators of these Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any postings for any reason. Members who make postings on the Forums which are not in accordance with the Terms of Use Agreement, risk having their posting privileges withdrawn.
See more
See less

V-22 in Theatre

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

107ii

Wild, that is very good to know. Wonder why its taken over 4 years plus now, for the Faa to certify it? Sounds like money is involved to me. When the 22 is grounded, the 107II will have to be put into production, When they sell all the 46's. The program Helli loggers, has a souped up 47, and a 46. They call the 46 a vertol though. Looks like a reg. A modle to me. They say it costs the company 15 thousand Dollars per Hour to fly. It has lifted close to 4.2-3 tons of tree on the program. Its most likely one made from Japan, and flown in canada. Thank you for the info. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

Civilian Model

This is a photo of a publicity stunt to promote New York Airways introduction of the new Vertol helicopter that was to be used in and around Manhattan. They planned to external the Ford Mustang all over the Island of Manhattan to get attention!

When the photo was taken, Vertol had not yet been acquired by Boeing.

The aircraft is still active and registered as N6676D. It is currently owned by Columbia Helicopters Inc. of Portland, Oregon. The serial number is six. The date of manufacure is unknown.
      Attached Files
      /s/ray

Raymond J. Norton
      1513 Bordeaux Place
      Norfolk, VA 23509-1313

(757) 623-1644

Comment

Civilian Model

Thats great Ray. That could be the one in Eastwoods movie. Shortly after the tails started falling off in 'Nam, they dis-continued the Air Service in New York. Hate they didn't start back up after the problem was found and corrected. I believe that was the reason. Glad it is still flying today. I believe besides the Cobra, the 46 is the better looking Bird in the Marine Corps. It could do more than most any other Bird. That is except hauling over 25 Packs full combat gear. Thats where the 53 Heavy comes in. The 46, in my and others opinion, looks better than the 53. I believe beauty is in the eye of the be-holder.lol. Thanks again Ray. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

Flashback alert

Would you believe this guy was enjoying R & R in Taipei and don't ask me how but I (we) ended up in a movie house watching Clint Eastwood "Coogin's Bluff" when POW - here's a 46 flying over the NY skyline - I needed another drink
          READY - SQUAT THRUST - BEGIN

Comment

phrog flying Clint

I remember that scene Dale ! 46 s have been in a lot of movies and sometime it does trigger a flash back ! hell all the time actually ! LOL .I know about the 107 II thats why I think we should build em ! with some IMPROVEMENTS ! carbon fiber tech and alloy tech have been vastly improved since the fifties and sixties . stronger engines more armament and new avionics,new blades.etc... I dont care if they cost ten million a copy or even 15 mil.the 46 could and still can fill a multi mission slot that no other aircraft in Naval aviation can ! I still think It's the best Helicopter the CORPS has ! that being said I think the V-22 s could vastly increase the projection of power and logistical support of marines on the ground.with a lot of improvements of its' own ! ACE you know plenty brother as do all my brothers here on PAS !
            non illigitimus carborundumMAF gripe ... deadbugs on windshield...action taken...R&R with live bugs!

Comment

I have a couple of good friends that used to fly the 107's for New York Airways when they used to land on the Pan Am Building in NYC.
              Semper Fi
              Tim

Comment

I remember when I was in HMX and we went to Ny to pratice landing on roof tops .mostly we landed where the 107 did it was kicks flying around all those tall buildings. If I remember right they went out of buisnees because they where losing money.
                On the gunners belt I don't think any one normal wore one in 262. In 34's we wore them for externals and SAR pratice or for a real SAR but not for troop lifts or just boreing holers in the sky. SF
                Last edited by Walt; 11-24-2010, 10:16.

Comment

death toll ?

I think its around 34 or so in the V-22 sf kc
                  non illigitimus carborundumMAF gripe ... deadbugs on windshield...action taken...R&R with live bugs!

Comment

Flashback alert

Dale, I had to do a double take as well. Thats one of the better scenes of the movie. Glad that Bird is still Flying. Hope you and all have a Great Thanksgiving. S/F, Brothers.

Comment

Phrog Flying Clint

I do so agree Lurch. That makes the most sense I've heard in a long while. I've been harping on it as well, but you say it much better. The 22 is good to get reinforcements to places for the 46 to take them on in. Guns Blazing. If they would get a fleet of the newer 46's, I'd slack back on the 22 a whole bunch. They would Both have an important roll to play in our Corps. I enjoy the Helli Loggers. That brings back lots of memories. The last program, the 46 carried over 4.3 tons, but it was slick. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

Good Friends

Thats Great Tim. Bet they loved it, almost as much as we did flying on them. Just curious, what was the reason They stoped the service with the 46? I've always thought it was the Aft Plylon problem, but never for sure found out. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

loosing money

Walt, that is Super. I can imagine the fun you Men had. I agree, a good Crew Chief had to be on the move way to much to use the Belt in a 46. I can see using it on the 34, as the Crew Chief is so close to the hatch all the time. Just hate there was not enough bussiness to make a profit for them. The program Helli-Loggers, they always say its 15 thousand Dollars an hour to operate it. That is an enormus amount of money. To think we flew turning 10 to 12 hours a day, that would be close to 200 thousand Dollars a day, per Bird. Now I see the profit margine loss. Semper Fi.

Comment

death toll

Thank you Lurch. I had thought it was close to that. The 22 is a good Bird, its just it would have a good number of problems going into zones we 46's did, and still do. The gun scopes on the 22 cause the gunner to get sick at the stomach a lot. Hate that. I do hope it is improved to a 50 cal.-360 bottom fire,then it would have a shoot out ability, and be there with the 46. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

Comment

Not beating on Lurch.

Originally posted by lurch View Post
                              Been Doing alot of research on the V-22 . Only 5 crashes and 8 notable incidents in 20 years is pretty damn good ! NO it's not the 46 ! it doesn't have to be ! I think they should remod the 46 and build em both !
                              Not beating on Lurch. Just got on site. Reading. 20 yrs for V22 NOT. When I was in 8th grade. The Vtol was on Popular Science Mag. Watched this with hopeful ambition. This was L.B.J yrs. mid 60's. I was in HMLA-267 77-81. Buddy, Sean P. Joyce and his Bro-in law Gunny Leader first joined to do PAX river and exceptance flights at Bell. Lost them both at a 92 Potohmac River crash in 92. Too many moving parts. It's flight path kill zone is way too large, no recovery. Also with the acutual flights hrs spread over the years, it is a lot of loss. What, more than 18 on one crash? By the way, just asking, does it aways crash on it's top? Keep the 46/107. The 53 is Marine.

Comment

Ace I seem to remember one rolling over on the roof top, they probably thought it was unsafe. But it also had to be quite costly. There are still helicopters landing on roof tops in NYC but much smaller ones.
                                Semper Fi
                                Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X